headed to school tomorrow...any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I am getting a great opportunity tomorrow to visit my sons 2nd grade class with some of my torts..... they have been learning about reptiles so I thought I'd teach them a few things about tortoises... have any of you ever done this and if so do you have any advice? wish me luck!!:D:D

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I've been tempted to ask my sons Kinder teacher about that. My son wants me to bring the torts in for show and tell.

John

5 Year Member
NEtorts said:
I am getting a great opportunity tomorrow to visit my sons 2nd grade class with some of my torts..... they have been learning about reptiles so I thought I'd teach them a few things about tortoises... have any of you ever done this and if so do you have any advice? wish me luck!!:D:D

Make sure you have a number two pencil:D

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Keep it simple, answer questions, choose the meek/quiet kids first if they get to pet a tort, and try very hard not to reward mis-behavior.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've done this a lot. If you want to allow the kids to touch the tortoises then bring some antiseptic wipes. Also, DO NOT FORGET to bring paper towells. You most certainly WILL have a tortoise poopy or pee accident. The kids love that part.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Omg, I just did this last friday with my daughter's 4 year old class. It was sooo much fun!! My advice is to put your tort in one bin for transport on paper towels. But bring another one for bringing him/her into the class. I did this because Leia alway's get's diarrhea in the car. So I just wiped her down and pulled her out of the "dirty" bin when I arrived bagged the gross stuff and threw it away.

I also brought cactus with me to get her out of her shell in case she was shy but she wasn't shy at all!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have only one piece of advice, if anything goes wrong blame the mimes, they won't talk.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I taught second and third grade for years and even brought my torts in. You can start out by introducing yourself and them, including their tortoise name (not scientific) and if you have a personal name, their age, and general short background. Then I think what gets kids most interested is when you include them by allowing them the opportunity for questions. They learn more when they have that interactive experience. I would do a show of hands who has or have had a tortoise because it could take all day if the students shared their tortoise experiences with you lol.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
emysemys said:
I've done this a lot. If you want to allow the kids to touch the tortoises then bring some antiseptic wipes. Also, DO NOT FORGET to bring paper towells. You most certainly WILL have a tortoise poopy or pee accident. The kids love that part.

HAHAHA already thought of that!!! got a canvas drop cloth in my tote and some cleaner and papertowels!!

thanks for the advice, it should be fun... I'll let ya'll know how it goes....

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I used to give talks on tortoises and turtles on a regular basis for about a dozen years ago to various age school kids, special needs kids and various adult organizations (Rotary, Farm organizations, etc...). Without a doubt, the kids were the most fun! Most were absolutely fascinated with the tortoises. The hardiest thing to do was to keep their attention long enough before letting them touch! Be prepared to be barged with the question: "What's the difference between a tortoise and a turtle?" I found out early that there was no point in trying to get into captive care aspects other than to make the point that tortoises needed special, constant care, they lived a long, long time so it is a big responsibility.
I also never allowed the tortoises to be picked up or handled by children, explained to them that they could touch and pet, but not "thump" on their shells, explaining that knocking on the tortoise's shell would be like them (the children) getting hit in the back. I always had a teacher or aid stand at a table with me when the children were all around wanting to touch the tortoises. I found that most teachers are very good at controlling their students. Most teachers will also make students wash their hands afterward too.
I actually loved going to classrooms, the kids would make me laugh so hard sometimes! I was also often very impressed with the level of questions that some of the grade school kids were asking. Plus in the Northeast you always get to hear at least one story about how some kids uncle caught a Snapping turtle the size of a Volkswagon!
Bring lots and lots of paper towels and plastic bags to put them in!
I chose to no longer take my tortoises to public talks because I didn't like the fact that I was disrupting their routine potentially causing them undue stress and without the "props" it's kind of boring!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've done it lots of times. I like to tailor it to the age group. For the 3-4 years olds its more about ooh and ahhh, look at the neato animals, once you get to 5-6 year olds and older, you can start adding some information and a few more fun questions. I always try to keep it short and sweet as the attention span fades quickly. The more fun and interesting you are the longer you will hold their attention.

Good luck and have fun.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
just got back... it went well....8 year olds and i was impressed with some of there knowledge.... i taught them a few vocab words...thermo-regulate, carapace , plastron, and schutes.... the retained it fairly well......lots of questions.....they were very excited! thanks for all the tips!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That is awesome!! I was only able to talk about the difference between a turtle and a tortoise. Then I basically answered questions about what she eats, if she bite's and how old she is.
I hope this makes them want a tort and think your son is so cool because he has torts.:D

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's wonderful! Glad you and the students had a great time! I know it's amazing how smart they are at that age. I really enjoyed teaching that age, as they were like sponges and could retain so much. It's an experience they will go home and share to their family. Great job making lasting impressions and teaching them about torts. They all will go home now and ask their parents for a tortoise lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glad it went well! May be the teacher will invite you back again next year. :D Makes me miss not dong public talks any more. :shy:

HarleyK

5 Year Member
NEtorts said:
just got back... it went well....8 year olds and i was impressed with some of there knowledge.... i taught them a few vocab words...thermo-regulate, carapace , plastron, and schutes.... the retained it fairly well......lots of questions.....they were very excited! thanks for all the tips!

So which tortoises did you bring? :)

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
HarleyK said:
NEtorts said:

So which tortoises did you bring? :)

haha..... 5 greeks, 1 sulcata, 2 redfoots, 1 pancake and 1 leo! i couldnt decide :rolleyes:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I bet the pancake got the biggest reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.