Head butting!

jlb1077

5 Year Member
So I went to feed Porky this am and he head butted me 2 times. He usually patiently waits for me to put his food in and proceeds to eat. Not this am!!! Why do they do that?

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
AW: Head butting!

Maybe you weren't fast enough? ;)
Every once in a while Peter will do that to me as well. I just take it as him trying to assert his dominance and trying to protect his territory. I try to leave him alone if he does that.
Let's just be happy that it isn't a sulcata butting us, hermann's just look adorable while doing it! :p :heart:

jlb1077

5 Year Member
Lol very true. It cracked us up. I was offering some lettuce by hand, as I have done hundreds of times. It just surprised me because he has never done that in the year we have had him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its because you are all up in his face!

Haha! Seriously though, if you back your hand a few inches away, he will likely not do that. If he's sitting at or on the food bowl, you can just move him back a few inches to prevent the ramming behavior.

jlb1077

5 Year Member
I usually have to move him from his food. I put him on other side of tank cause he hauls *** to get breakfast. This time was no different I just had a piece of lettuce I dropped and he came from across his cage and butted me.