Having trouble setting up new enclosure for 1 year old African sulcata

kupo0929

Location (City and/or State)
California
Our baby tortoise outgrew their original tank quickly and we finally found a new enclosure that’s perfect for them.

However, we’re having trouble setting up the lights and heat emitter. For starters, we set up the heat emitter directly on top. Since the bulb itself wasn’t touching the wood, we thought it’d be okay. It wasn’t. Within the hour it burned it and left it black (see photos).

As you can also see in the photos, there’s two holes. The owner we bought this enclosure off of said he had the emitter and basking light hanging inside of it, with the top sticking out being held by a clamp. This set up won’t work for us because we have two cats. We’re scared they will unintentionally dislodge the clamp and drop the light/emitter right inside, causing a fire.

At this point, we don’t know how to set it up. Are we not thinking too critically? Our previous tank enclosure, we supported the lights and emitter with a metal mesh and sealed it to prevent heat and humidity escaping. We’re leaning more on doing it again like this, but not sure how safe it would be considering it’s made of wood (and we saw how easily it burnt up).

How would you guys set them up? In total we have:
-1 heat emitter
-1 basking light (just a regular light bulb)
-1 UV light (rectangular, we would fit it in the rectangular opening)

Is there a way to secure them inside while also making them cat-proof?

Would drilling in a mesh cover work? And removing the hinge doors?

Oh!! Almost forgot that it opens from the bottom, giving us access to give her meals and clean her enclosure.

And the thing inside the bigger hole is just a glass vase thing to keep our cats from going in lol

Attachments

• 1DD9BC3D-7C06-404D-A4BA-CB2D09413CA6.jpeg
    1DD9BC3D-7C06-404D-A4BA-CB2D09413CA6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • 08888AC6-1E87-4216-8AC2-1C253396E975.jpeg
    08888AC6-1E87-4216-8AC2-1C253396E975.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • F78A3ACC-0B72-4B15-993F-CA8EF601CBE5.jpeg
    F78A3ACC-0B72-4B15-993F-CA8EF601CBE5.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 44

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This will help you:

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Kupo, WTTC and congrats on landing here! This is the promised land of turtle talent........you have been chosen....

What Tom is doing is pointing "the way".......

"glass vase thing to keep our cats from going in lol"...that's pretty funny. Is the fear the cats would use his home as a litter box? I'm missing something? I don't have hairy creatures in my home so I really don't know what your cats would do to/with a Sulc. Nice build on the box.....where's your guy?

I will warn you since you are new....rub in some skin-thickener, some new folks feel chastised when their best intentions are laid waste by people with amazing talent, really smart people.....but they don't sugarcoat things so ever so occasionally, answers might seem terse. I'm here to tell you to manage your own expectations, best talent in the world, but not so warm and fuzzy. LOL They really are only here to help your guy so don't let it bug you.

A big Sulc is a treat to have.....big, brutish but gentle & approachable......

Cozy up and read......all your answers are there, just not specific to your enclosure.....read and you will learn how and where to place your lighting, and for God's sake, the bottom of that HE gets 450F, don't burn down your home and his!

Good luck!

jeff

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you line the wood hole rim with tin foil/aluminum foil it won't burn the wood.
I have done the tin foil on plastic lids and it doesn't melt the plastic.

If it were me, I would replace the wood lid and build a frame with a couple 2x2 or 1x1's so you can drape plastic over and give more room to hang lights and heat which can be hung from the frame, or buy a pop up portable green house to fit over it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If you take the top of the enclosure and make the holes about 3/4" bigger than your fixture then cover the underside of the top with 1/2 hardware cloth. The metal hardware cloth will support your fixtures. The take tin foil and fill in the voids between the fixture and top to help hold in the humidity.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Or you can hang the light and che this way... made by my sis and I use on several tort tables...I'm just showing you these to give you more ideas...this Russian is outside daily but there are predators so this is simply for nights...it's a wooden frame that I hang my lights from
100_0884.JPG
this light support is fastened to the tort table
100_0877.JPG
you'll need a humid hide too...this tort table has a built in hide...box turtles are in the tort table now...
100_0876.JPG

kupo0929

California
Or you can hang the light and che this way... made by my sis and I use on several tort tables...I'm just showing you these to give you more ideas...this Russian is outside daily but there are predators so this is simply for nights...it's a wooden frame that I hang my lights from
View attachment 334791
this light support is fastened to the tort table
View attachment 334792
you'll need a humid hide too...this tort table has a built in hide...box turtles are in the tort table now...
View attachment 334794

Omg! Okay I’m starting to get ideas seeing these set ups. The way you covered the humid hide is more or less how we want to set it up. Didn’t even think about using plastic. Thank you for posting these!

kupo0929

California
If you take the top of the enclosure and make the holes about 3/4" bigger than your fixture then cover the underside of the top with 1/2 hardware cloth. The metal hardware cloth will support your fixtures. The take tin foil and fill in the voids between the fixture and top to help hold in the humidity.

? I’m picturing what you’re describing. The hardware cloth might just be our solution. Thank you so much!

kupo0929

California
If you line the wood hole rim with tin foil/aluminum foil it won't burn the wood.
I have done the tin foil on plastic lids and it doesn't melt the plastic.

If it were me, I would replace the wood lid and build a frame with a couple 2x2 or 1x1's so you can drape plastic over and give more room to hang lights and heat which can be hung from the frame, or buy a pop up portable green house to fit over it.

Like I commented on another reply, we didn’t even think about using plastic. And protecting it with foil?! I totally forgot that I used foil when I first set up her tank enclosure lol Plastic lids… (I’m picturing the lids like the ones on plastic storage bins). Thank you for the reply!

kupo0929

California
Kupo, WTTC and congrats on landing here! This is the promised land of turtle talent........you have been chosen....

What Tom is doing is pointing "the way".......

"glass vase thing to keep our cats from going in lol"...that's pretty funny. Is the fear the cats would use his home as a litter box? I'm missing something? I don't have hairy creatures in my home so I really don't know what your cats would do to/with a Sulc. Nice build on the box.....where's your guy?

I will warn you since you are new....rub in some skin-thickener, some new folks feel chastised when their best intentions are laid waste by people with amazing talent, really smart people.....but they don't sugarcoat things so ever so occasionally, answers might seem terse. I'm here to tell you to manage your own expectations, best talent in the world, but not so warm and fuzzy. LOL They really are only here to help your guy so don't let it bug you.

A big Sulc is a treat to have.....big, brutish but gentle & approachable......

Cozy up and read......all your answers are there, just not specific to your enclosure.....read and you will learn how and where to place your lighting, and for God's sake, the bottom of that HE gets 450F, don't burn down your home and his!

Good luck!

jeff
Hi! Thank you for the warm welcome ☺️

Lol the enclosure is empty right now, we covered the holes to prevent them from going in and hurting themselves on a splinter or on the edges if they get startled (which they often do, usually by each other lol)

Here she is! (banana for scale lol) The shop we bought it from told us it’s a girl and until she gets older, we’re going by that haha her name is Lyra. We later found out we won’t be able to tell until she’s a bit bigger.

? I don’t even know how we didn’t put one and one together. Lesson learned and good thing we noticed right away!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19

kupo0929

California
This will help you:

Nice! Thank you! Will be digging into this thread tonight!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi! Thank you for the warm welcome ☺️

Lol the enclosure is empty right now, we covered the holes to prevent them from going in and hurting themselves on a splinter or on the edges if they get startled (which they often do, usually by each other lol)

Here she is! (banana for scale lol) The shop we bought it from told us it’s a girl and until she gets older, we’re going by that haha her name is Lyra. We later found out we won’t be able to tell until she’s a bit bigger.

? I don’t even know how we didn’t put one and one together. Lesson learned and good thing we noticed right away!
OMGosh!!! little Sulcata have such cute faces...this is what those faces look like bigger...lol
100_0217.JPG