Have this everywhere

Pawciorc

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
Looks like some kind of poppy. Not suitable as tortoise food at all.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Poppies would be edible, but this is greater celandine (toxic).

Pawciorc

Malta
Grater Celandine belongs to poppy family :D And as I said poppies are not edible. Only two of them are fine in moderation: Californian Poppy and Welsh Poppy.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
It's the same family, but greater celandine is not a poppy.
My torts love common poppy.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I could show you other links (and two books about tortoise food plants) that say it's edible. ;)

Pawciorc

Malta
How about prickly lettuce? TTT says no feed. Whom should we trust then? Perhaps torts know better what they need to eat?
Btw, show me, I would like to have a comparison of TTT and your sites and create an extract of edible plants that all of sources confirm as safe :)

taza

5 Year Member
Cambridge, Ontario.Canada
Thanks I guess I'll start pulling this stuff out like I said it all over my place. I don't know how it got here but its very invasive.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Thanks I guess I'll start pulling this stuff out like I said it all over my place. I don't know how it got here but its very invasive.
Yes, it's very invasive, but not too hard to get rid of, you just have to pull them out before they spread their seeds. I would wear gloves, they make nasty orange stains. ;)

How about prickly lettuce? TTT says no feed. Whom should we trust then? Perhaps torts know better what they need to eat?
I'm sure they do, at least in most cases. My torts are quite careful, sniffing warily on each leaf before taking a bite.
When by mistake I put toxic weeds in their enclosure (a Senecio and meadow buttercup), they did not even taste them. But they love prickly lettuce. :)

I know a few websites with lists of food plants, but they are in German and only have European plants.
(For example http://www.schildi24.de/futter.html or http://www.landschildkroeten.de/schildkroete/ernaehrung/, both recommend common poppy.)