Have I been over feeding my Horsefield?

Karen_m

Hi,

I have had my horsefield for almost a year. This is my first tortise so I'm new to all this. I think I have over fed him as he seems to have grown over night. The edge of his shell is a little jagged and thin. I am going to reduce his feeding to a few times a week as I was feeding him everyday. Also I have been feeding him rocket and cucumber as I live in Scotland and the ground freezes over in the winter and making weeds hard to come by. Any suggestions on how to help this problem? He is very alert and always active so I hope that he is healthy apart from over growing. Also he doesn't get outside much in the winter as its too cold and wet. Any suggestions on how he could get more exercise?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Let him brumate, then you don't have to buy unhealthy food in winter and he can spend most of his awake time outside.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
You're not over feeding him, but his diet is too restricted and unbalanced. Cucumber is mostly water so only good as a treat, not a staple. There are many other greens available at the grocery store, and you can grow some yourself.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...oh, and - Welcome to the Forum!!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Please don't stop feeding him daily. As stated above, just feed him better foods. Will you post pictures of you tortoise? His growth is likely completely normal. Are you providing a UVB light, and supplementing with calcium a couple times a week?