Over eating

Anthony32

Do Russians stop eating or do you have to take food away? it seams every time I feed him escarole or roman he eats till he can't move. I am worried of over feeding him ......I mean I am Italian :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hahaha, most won't over eat. However, you know your tort more then we do. I would feed less and make sure you are feeding more then just the few items you mentioned. Also, make sure he has a big enough enclosure to get some good exercise.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
My tort lives for romaine, and I don't kid (well I do but not this time)... I think you should give less if he can't move after eating, and Italy is beautiful by the way. :) been there!

Anthony32

If I feed him less should I feed him a second time? His schedule now is light on at 8:30am he comes out of his hide box heats up and I feed him and change water around 10am

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
As long as he's moving you may feed him, just think how much more till he can't move? Then stop when you think it's enough... So you should feed now :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Also another sign (little late then) is if you notice excess 'fat' in your torts armpits, or if he looking like he's bulging out of his shell. Another good way too tell if he's getting larger is if her cannot pull himself completely inside his shell (legs in, tucked up over face)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Russians are hard wired to consume large amounts of food when ever the opportunity presents itself, this is a specie that naturally brumates for long periods of time...so they gorge. A safe measure is to offer a pile of food equal to the torts size...the handful can be a firm tight handful...and I would do this once in the am and once in the evening...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Vary the diet. Romaine should be only a small part of the diet. There are better foods. Many people describe it as crack for tortoises. That's what you're seeing.

Escarole is good, but it sounds like you need to offer more different foods. There are other good choices available. This time of year there are so many good weeds and flowers to forage, too.

In the wild, there is a seasonal rotation.

Anthony32

Awesome advise thanks all ....I am offering him two to three kinds of greens a week I rotate in this week its collard greens, romaine and escarole. When I Finnish one I add a new to his roto he loves the escarole but not a big fan of collard greens