have been a dog trainer for 30 years plus, feel free to pick my brain

Lisa Gove71

I train.. Assistance, obedience, agility, did some police dog training, looking into some hunting training, and of course pet training..

Feel free to pick my brain! If i do not know i have plently of friends i can ask!!

Currently, I have 3 whippets and my hubby's mutt. I show, handle, and breed them. I will have puppies in a couple of years.

Lisa Gove71

Well, first you have to understand what terriers are used for.. They were bred to chase rodents ( and kill, but we wont talk about that).... So, if they see something .. Lets say a cat or some sort of wildlife or anything interesting they are going to chase it.. Its an instinct, it is not something you can change ( unforunatly) BUT, you can work with it. And i will NOT lie to you..... It takes awhile... I would suggest a good obedience trainer in your area.. Also trick train, this gives the dog a job.. Take some agility classes ( even if you dont want to compete) get your dog involved with things that will challege that brain. Other wise always put him/her on a lead.. Always.. If he/she does not want to come back off lead then the dog should not have that privledge to be off the lead. You can buy a mega lead in any length from www.strapworks.com in the dog leash section.. i myself have a 75 foot lead and a 50 ft lead and ONLY take my learning puppies on these, they are awesome to teach recall on.

So, when you take your dog out you always use your mega lead ( pocket full of favorite treats). Every so often call.. POOCHY COME! Pop the lead a bit, when the dog looks at you get excited!!! YAY come get a cookie, treat, snack ( whatever your word is). LOTS of praise when dog comes to you. If she/he doesnt.. Pull in, praise, give a cookie.. Then let them go out again.. Then when they really start getting it, change come to check in! I say to mine in a really load voice.. TIME TO CHECK IN!!! I have a paxk of whippets running full speed to get a pet and a treat!! So if i can train a whippet to come from 500 yards off a squirel then i have faith you can with a terrier.

Sorry about my spelling...

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Well, first you have to understand what terriers are used for.. They were bred to chase rodents ( and kill, but we wont talk about that).... So, if they see something .. Lets say a cat or some sort of wildlife or anything interesting they are going to chase it.. Its an instinct, it is not something you can change ( unforunatly) BUT, you can work with it. And i will NOT lie to you..... It takes awhile... I would suggest a good obedience trainer in your area.. Also trick train, this gives the dog a job.. Take some agility classes ( even if you dont want to compete) get your dog involved with things that will challege that brain. Other wise always put him/her on a lead.. Always.. If he/she does not want to come back off lead then the dog should not have that privledge to be off the lead. You can buy a mega lead in any length from www.strapworks.com in the dog leash section.. i myself have a 75 foot lead and a 50 ft lead and ONLY take my learning puppies on these, they are awesome to teach recall on.

So, when you take your dog out you always use your mega lead ( pocket full of favorite treats). Every so often call.. POOCHY COME! Pop the lead a bit, when the dog looks at you get excited!!! YAY come get a cookie, treat, snack ( whatever your word is). LOTS of praise when dog comes to you. If she/he doesnt.. Pull in, praise, give a cookie.. Then let them go out again.. Then when they really start getting it, change come to check in! I say to mine in a really load voice.. TIME TO CHECK IN!!! I have a paxk of whippets running full speed to get a pet and a treat!! So if i can train a whippet to come from 500 yards off a squirel then i have faith you can with a terrier.

Sorry about my spelling...
Thank you! He comes back in the garden but not in the park :( also he doesn't eat when out on a walk. I will keep trying though!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you! He comes back in the garden but not in the park :( also he doesn't eat when out on a walk. I will keep trying though!
It's good that your dog won't eat when on a walk. They don't need to. Dogs tend to eat things they're not supposed to on walks. Work with your dog on the recall first in the house, then in the yard, then maybe at a quiet park with no distractions, then a more crowded park with more distractions. Do not move up to the next level until your dog has mastered it at the current level.

Lisa Gove71

It's good that your dog won't eat when on a walk. They don't need to. Dogs tend to eat things they're not supposed to on walks. Work with your dog on the recall first in the house, then in the yard, then maybe at a quiet park with no distractions, then a more crowded park with more distractions. Do not move up to the next level until your dog has mastered it at the current level.

Well no thats not true... They should listen and take stuff from you.. Dogs work BEST for food, so use it. especially with hard to work with breeds.. I posted how to work on the issue..

Lisa Gove71

use something he does not usually get.. Such as cooked chicken or if he is more interested in toys take a tennis ball.. The working in house, and then your yard, then move on to dog park works for say a lab. Or other breed.. Not yours. Be wary of those handing out adivce that no nothing about the breed you have!!!

I have used some strange things for treats.. Carrots, green beans, squirt cheese to entise dogs to do what I ask. And since you asked me under my thread i gave you the best advice for YOUR breed.. Now if it was a lab or some other breed the advice would be completely different. Good luck and feel free to message me directly.

Obedience classes will teach you the basics, such as heal, sit, down, leave it, etc..

Lisa Gove71

Curious, how long have tou been a dog trainer and what breeds have you trained other than labs... What you posted is how you train say a lab or a golden or most any sporting breed.. Not say a smart breed such as a terrier.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Curious, how long have tou been a dog trainer and what breeds have you trained other than labs... What you posted is how you train say a lab or a golden or most any sporting breed.. Not say a smart breed such as a terrier.
Actually I did use that method with a Jack Russell terrier. It worked great. It may not work for every dog no matter what the breed is. I'll leave it all up to you now. I can see you're going to be as confrontational and touchy as you were on your intro thread.

Lisa Gove71

Actually I did use that method with a Jack Russell terrier. It worked great. It may not work for every dog no matter what the breed is. I'll leave it all up to you now. I can see you're going to be as confrontational and touchy as you were on your intro thread.

Highly doubt that.. But, i have trained 86 breeds, grew up in the dog show world and put over 56 best in shows on dogs.. Plus spend over half my life training dogs and other species..

I am not being conforntaional.. I was attacked in my opening thread .. But this thread was completely started by me for other to post questions to use all the info from 30 years plus of training.. If you do not like it make your own thread!

Lisa Gove71

Highly doubt that.. But, i have trained 86 breeds, grew up in the dog show world and put over 56 best in shows on dogs.. Plus spend over half my life training dogs and other species..

I am not being conforntaional.. I was attacked in my opening thread .. But this thread was completely started by me for other to post questions to use all the info from 30 years plus of training.. If you do not like it make your own thread!
Seems to me thats why you posted on this.. To make me conforntational.

Lisa Gove71

Aww they are so beautiful by the way!!

I am soo very sorry i felt confortational on your question!! I am a NICE very kind person who just likes to help people.. The person who posted was trying to make me confontational on every post i wrote on so i reported and ignored them. Again.. Very sorry!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am soo very sorry iit appear they are something wonderful..when in fact that felt confortational on your question!! I am a NICE very kind person who just likes to help people.. The person who posted was trying to make me confontational on every post i wrote on so i reported and ignored them. Again.. Very sorry!!!
There are a handful of members here that love to harrass simply to make it appear as they know something..lol..there is this fabulous feature on the forum where you can set up any member under ignore..

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
use something he does not usually get.. Such as cooked chicken or if he is more interested in toys take a tennis ball.. The working in house, and then your yard, then move on to dog park works for say a lab. Or other breed.. Not yours. Be wary of those handing out adivce that no nothing about the breed you have!!!

I have used some strange things for treats.. Carrots, green beans, squirt cheese to entise dogs to do what I ask. And since you asked me under my thread i gave you the best advice for YOUR breed.. Now if it was a lab or some other breed the advice would be completely different. Good luck and feel free to message me directly.

Obedience classes will teach you the basics, such as heal, sit, down, leave it, etc..
He went to obedience classes and knows how to sit,lie,stand,jump,give paw and wait.he is a very picky eater and a lot of treats upset his stomach so I can't give him many. He refuses to eat dog food so ever since we got him after he had a bad stomach the vet said just feed him plain chicken (cooked) for now until he jets better. He won't go back to dog food so we are cooking his chicken as we speak. He has it with biscuits. Oh and he only likes chicken when it's cooked on the bone and taken off for him, he won't eat breast lol

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The topic of dogs should be in the off-topic chat category. It started as personal promotion.

To bring this thread back to tortoises, I'd to remind everyone that certain flea meds for dogs contain ivermectin, and ivermectin is toxic to tortoises. There are alternatives.