Have a question about my new baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tagreltracy

5 Year Member
I got a new RT hatchiling from a member on this site, and I got him on Sunday. He walked around his new home for a few minutes and promptly burried himself (on Sunday afternoon) and stayed there until Monday afternoon.

After not seeing him for almost 24 hours I dug him out and offered him food, he did not want any. I put him under his basking light, he stayed there for about an hour and burried himself again, and stayed there until I dug him out Tuesday afternoon (about 24 hours later)

I gave him him a warm soak and offered him some food, and he ate for about 10 min, went under the light for about an hour and burried himself again...for another 24 hours!

I just dug him out again and offered him some food, he had no interest. He went under his light for about an hour and has burried himself again.

Is this normal? I just want to make sure he is healthy! I thought he would spend more time under his light, and not so much of his time burried (and boy can that cutie dig and bury himself well!)

I have him in a rubbermaid tote, with a PowerSun 160 watt bulb that has UVA/UVB, and heat. On the warm side of his home (under the light) is about 95-97 degrees, the other side of his home is about 71-72. I have his light on 14 hours a day.

The substrate I am using is the brick coco coir, and I mist it everyday, so the humidity is around 45%.

Is there anything else I need to do, am I missing something? Is this normal behavior? Could he just be getting used to his surroundings? Should I stop digging him out?

I tell you, this new mom thing is just nerveracking!!!

wpeltola

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Sounds normal to me. Just let the little one stay buried for a while, he/she will come out when it's hungry and then start exploring more. RT's are pretty shy at first, sounds like the environment you have is about perfect.

After a few weeks, you will see a difference :) Just keep putting in food daily and changing it out.

tagreltracy

5 Year Member
wpeltola said:
Sounds normal to me. Just let the little one stay buried for a while, he/she will come out when it's hungry and then start exploring more. RT's are pretty shy at first, sounds like the environment you have is about perfect.

After a few weeks, you will see a difference :) Just keep putting in food daily and changing it out.

Should I have a heat source for the night time? Our house gets to about 62 at night?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It takes a while for tortoises to adjust to their new homes. Babies are particularly shy, so no worries there. He should start coming out more and feeding regularly in a few days.

As for temperatures, Russians need a hot spot of about 95-100*F, and ambient daytime temperatures in the 70s to low 80s. They prefer nighttime temperatures in the 60s, but it's fine if they're in the 70s. Either way, you should not have their heating system on at night, unless your house were unusual and dipped down into the 50s at night. So, 62*F is good for an overnight temperature with a Russian tortoise.

tickle

5 Year Member
Pics love to see the little guy?were did u get him?verry normal. He also ate very good.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
This is pretty normal for any baby. Soak him everyday and offer food everyday. Night time temps should be 58-65, so 62 is just fine. Sounds like you have a very good set up to me! Pictures are always appreciated though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.