Hatchling shell hardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
We've been noticing my RT hatchling's shell hardening up. He's 4-5 months old, so hopefully this is a good thing. We've been making sure he gets lots of UVB with his Mega Ray bulb (too cold to take him outside unfortunately), calcium supplement, and calcium-rich foods (vet said he was a little behind on size/weight/maturity).

He's not as squishy feeling anymore, and has something going on between his scutes...kinda looks like a little peeling or shedding (whitish marks). What should this be looking like? Is this about the right timeline for his shell to be hardening up? I can post a picture later but he's napping right now--don't want to disturb Sir Trevor!

Also, is it ok that his colorings are getting darker on his head and arms? Is this part of growing up for torts too?

Thanks as always.

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
The "something going on between his scutes" is probably signs of growth... All sounds natural to me.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You can kind of see the white lines in this picture:

x4koyu.jpg

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Everything is looking just fine Kate :D They will change quite a bit from hatchling to adult. Somethings get darker and somethings get lighter

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It's really picking up now with the growth! He even has little tortoise love handles on the side of his belly. I assume he's getting a little bigger so his shell can pick up in growth in length. Huge appetite. I've taken to giving him a little afternoon snack in addition to the breakfast. All good stuff and still nothing excessive.

Here you can really see the lines:

2epllxs.jpg

Thought I'd post an update in case anyone was interested. No further questions on the subject. :) I'm just really happy to see the little runt growing.

Wow my camera really sucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.