Hatchling questions for the experts :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
Ok guys I have some questions, anyones advice is appreciated but the more experienced the better.. Ok, first question, soft shells, how do u tell if your baby tortoises shell is soft? Mine feels kinda soomth on his plastron but not like I could dent it in, I would compare it it to a pecan shell, or maybe a wooden broom handle, maybe lil softer than that but never has raised a worry, so far, but I'm new so I dont really know... And second question, perparing their food, rather it be greens from the store or weeds from the yard, is it better to give it in the large pieces or better to tear em small for a small hatchling? And lastly the most debatable question, not even sure can be answered.. Can someone put a number on the hatchling failure rate? I know it varies probably by species and is caused by numerous things but in your opinion, and I'm talking to everyone, whats the rate in percentage?

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
If its a hatchling tort... the plastron should be firm but it will have some flex in it since they are young and haven't harden up yet. I guess my way of describing it would be comparing a folder to a piece of paper... the folder is stiff but flex's and the paper well just goes in. Natural grass/weeds are always best choices but greens aren't the end of the world or anything....mine are fed mostly grocery store greens since I don't have access to a yard that's not contaminated with pesticides and what not. Failure rate.. is just more luck than anything and mostly due to bad husbandry. If its bad from the start then it was most likely due to the breeder but not in every case. Just... give them good food with some calcium and sunlight/ proper hydration and they should thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.