Hatchling Pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FBody355

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Carver, MA
Sometimes I look at his scutes & he looks like he's pyramiding. Maybe I'm just paranoid about this happening, I'm not sure. I've been following all the advice of dieting, substrate, heating, ect. on here. I've had him since Christmas & my sister got him from TortoiseShack.com. Opinions? Please?
Toothless1-1.jpg

Toothless2.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It looks like very very mild pyramiding, but overall still looks great. When I say very very mild I mean it is almost not noticeable.

FBody355

5 Year Member
Carver, MA
What a sigh of relief. I think I'm looking at waaaayyyy too many pictures of pyradming. I want a smooth boy.. or erm, girl!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do you have a picture of when you first received him, so that we can compare?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marie:

I'd say that's a pretty good start to a pretty pyramided tortoise. There should be no dip in between the scutes, but rather just an even line from scute to scute. Your little guy has a very pronounced dip between the scutes.

You say you're doing everything that has been suggested, but it might be a good idea to re-read some of the pyramiding threads and give your tortoise-keeping skills and habitat a little tweeking. Pay particular attention to the part about humidity and moist substrate.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
To me it looks as though the new growth is coming in smooth. I would keep him/her as hydrated as you can.

FBody355

5 Year Member
Carver, MA
Picture of him maybe a week after I got him. It's not a good picture, but if I find a better of his shell I'll post them esp. since this photo is looking down on his shell rather then across. His scutes were about the same amount of dip in them.
Toothless1.jpg

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
VERY CUTE TORTY! ^_^
IDK much about sulcatas as I'm a newbie myself but have been taking advice on this forum and THANK GOD for this forum =D
Anyone correct me if I am wrong but I've read that sometimes they pyramid while they are growing and then they slowly grow into them and it straightens back out when they get older?! There's so much info out there so who knows...I take alot of info and just compare usually but you cannot skimp out on temp/humidity, substrate, and diet I know that for sure =P

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
The raised scutes probably already happened before you got him. The newer growth looks a lot smoother!

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
When I first got my baby, he looked exactly the same. The breeder kept him on alfalfa pellets. Since I've had him I've been following the advice on here, soaking him once a day, changed his substrait and keeping it humid in his tank. His new growth is now coming in nice and smooth.

FBody355

5 Year Member
Carver, MA
lushcious said:
The raised scutes probably already happened before you got him. The newer growth looks a lot smoother!

I was hoping this was before and not all on me! I would feel so bad! I never even thought to compare picture before I got him until now. So looks like I should keep on keeping on with my way with him.
Thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That can be turned around. It's not too far gone. I would go overboard in a case like that. Very humid and warm. Daily soaks. Damp substrate. Spray the shell several times a day.

The pattern was already set before you got him, but it does not look to me like he has had enough of the wet routine to stop yet.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yes, there is definite pyramiding happening. There are 5 things you need to do to keep from pyramiding.
1. A good and varied diet
2. Lots of exercise
3. 80% humidity
4. Strong UVB or lots of sun and
5. Read Tom's care sheet too...

Status
Not open for further replies.