Hatchling or Yearling Hermanns

Hermanns hatchling or yearling?

• 3 mo. hatchling

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NewHermannsMama

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I am getting my first hermanns and after much research, I am deciding between a 3 month old hatchling or a yearling. I'd be ecstatic with either so I'm curious about other's opinions. Would you go with the yearling (slightly more expensive) or go with the hatchling? Why?

I'm thinking I may have better luck with the yearling since this is my first but im not sure if 3 months could also be considered well started? The yearling has been raised outside and I'll be keeping them majority inindoors. Concerns with that transition?

I believe both options are from reputable sources and would be happy to share who they are if anyone wants to know.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At three months, you can raise it the right way and with no pyramiding. It would also likely except the change easier.
A yearling will likely take longer to except the change and if raised outside, may already have pyramiding, which you can stop but much harder to stop than to raise them the right way and keep them smooth.
Little more risk with a 3 month than a yearling but if hatched correctly, and housed, fed and hydrated correctly, there should be little risk with the 3 month.
Neither are old enough to sex.

NewHermannsMama

Washington
At three months, you can raise it the right way and with no pyramiding. It would also likely except the change easier.
A yearling will likely take longer to except the change and if raised outside, may already have pyramiding, which you can stop but much harder to stop than to raise them the right way and keep them smooth.
Little more risk with a 3 month than a yearling but if hatched correctly, and housed, fed and hydrated correctly, there should be little risk with the 3 month.
Neither are old enough to sex.
Thank you for taking the time to respond! This is helpful! (Fortunately their sex isn't important to me so I'm willing to roll that dice). As most new mamas say.. as long as it's healthy 😅