Hatchling keeping colors to adulthood

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
On another topic the question was raised on how do the hatchling colors reflect what the tort will look like as an adult. This isn't an easy one answer fits all kinda answer. I have found that hatchlings are born with a certain amount of colors, on their leg scales or their head scales and even color on the neck for the extraordinary ones. They do not develop any more color or lose color in terms of the amount. However, the colors may change as the tort ages. It may get darker or brighter as the tort ages. One thing to always look for in hatchlings is the leg scales and the head scales. The pattern of the head scales may spread out a bit as the tort grows as will the leg scales as their legs grow. The neck colors may also get more vivid as the tort gets older, but this may have to do with the skin darkening up and causing more contrast.

Here is an easy example, this is a tort I was lucky enough to get from Cdmay. This is Mango as a hatchling and Mango now as a sub adult.

Mango as a hatchling:
Mangofront.jpg

Mango at one year old:
DSC03573.jpg

DSC03420.jpg

Mango now as a sub adult:

P1010054.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

Here is one that I hatched out last year to now, you can see the colors are changing. It was a bright orange when it hatched and will likely always be orange-ish but it seems to be getting more red tones.

As a hatchling:
IMG_0187.jpg

Now, it was a bit dirty:
IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

As for this one, I can't wait for this one to grow up:
IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! and great info ..... thanks for the post!

JD~:)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'm so jonesing for a couple of torts like Mango - heck all the ones you're showing here are blowing me away! They're unbelievable Allegra!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Here is another question for you. Do you find that (like in birds) the males are brighter than the females?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Would like to point out the way the tortoise is raised also reflects on the colors as well!
Typically if you have a tortoise indoors with lights there colors appear to come in darker
then they would if growing up naturally outside.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Ha! That one in the second to last photo has an eyebrow like Bert from Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the info and for the incredible pics.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
DesertGrandma said:
Here is another question for you. Do you find that (like in birds) the males are brighter than the females?

Not really. I have some colorful females and some drab males and vice versa

Thanks all for the compliments.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Male vs. female colors- some references mention that males are often a bit more colorful overall, but it is not to the same extent it is in many birds or fish. In "South American Tortoises" they mention that some of the most colorful torts they have seen in the field have been female.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good to know about the colors. You have some gorgeous colors in these. Thanks for posting.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
Male vs. female colors- some references mention that males are often a bit more colorful overall, but it is not to the same extent it is in many birds or fish. In "South American Tortoises" they mention that some of the most colorful torts they have seen in the field have been female.

This also goes along the lines that Females will lose some color every time they cycle, which is Hormone related.......It seems some Males get brighter when the season comes around from a similiar but different Hormone influx......

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
Thanks for the pics, they are beautiful. I never really thought about checking the necks of the hatchlings for color. I will have to check my March babies to see if they have any color on their necks.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
That last one is INSANE Allegra! So much color on the head and neck, a truly remarkable specimen!

imranuddin93

5 Year Member
so is it that since tortoises dont develop anymore color as they grow older that their adult bodies seem duller and less colorful then when they are younger?

Status
Not open for further replies.