Hallo!

Henk

Location (City and/or State)
Belgiu+
Hello! I've adopted a 5 year old turtle. He lives in a very small container but I’m gonna give him the perfect home! His previous owner (22years old) cleaned his back with detergent.... She went to university on the other side of the country so she couldn't take care of him "anymore".

tumblr_n34bqbbQqS1tx0iz9o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_n34bqbbQqS1tx0iz9o2_1280.jpg

Henk his to small container! (Had to walk sideways to get to his platform.) And his upgrade, this is temporary! He didn’t knew how to swim, I took water out. He knows how to swim after adding 1cm water every hour.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

We call those small turtle container "The Turtle Death Bowl." I'm very glad that you realized he should not be living in there, and it gave me a chuckle to see that you had rescued the palm trees out of the death bowl and added them to the new, larger container. It was smart how you figured out to teach the turtle to swim in deeper water.

The turtle is very lucky you rescued him.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
First welcome!. If that turtle is 5 years old she definitely didn't provide proper care. You have a yellow bellied slider and require a basking area where they can really warm up and completely dry off. Best of luck to you

Henk

Belgiu+
thanks everyone! He got an upgrade and a new friend! (let's hope not a meal, I asked for the fastest fish in the store)

check this out!:

tumblr_n364u0rXaB1tx0iz9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n364t36dw91tx0iz9o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n364wh8vnq1tx0iz9o1_1280.jpg

Tell me if I'm doing something wrong!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks very nice, and he's already enjoying the 'sun' on the rocks! I like that you don't have sand or gravel on the bottom. Makes it much easier to clean.

Eventually, when you can afford it, buy a canister-type filter. They are one of the better filters for turtles.

Henk

Belgiu+
I have a filter :D a aquaflow 400 with carbon filter media (200-300l/h). I'm adding sand and a plant and stuff when I adopt a baby turtle from another friend who's tank is getting to small! :) Is sand where they make walls and buildings with okay? if you run it trough enough water?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). So glad you rescue this little one. You have given him a great home. I'm not sure what kind of sand your talking about, so I will let someone else answer that. However, it will look nice with sand, it will be easier to keep clean if you didn't add sand or gravel, just a thought to consider.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That fish, whom can swim the fastest, will be friend for only a while.

Good to have you here, Welcome to the forum.