HALF BLIND STAR TORTOISE

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuwei

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, please help me.
My tortoise had a sudden "eye infection",
More like sticky eye. She wasnt fully blind I could tell, but she refused to open her eye, there were a lot of sticky stuff from her eye, like a layer of glue on her eyes. The skin from around the eye was also peeling. And then she refused to even come out of her shell, I force fed her everyday. I also forced water into her mouth.
I even flushed her eye with Saline almost everyday. There was nothing else I could do.
She was in this condition for almost 2 months.
At the end she refused to even open her eye anymore, but she was eating, I could tell that she wanted to eat.
She died, all of a sudden. I didnt take her to the vet because there aren't any vets in my county when tortoises are concerned.
It was more of a relief because I have seen her suffering for 2 months.
Does anyone know what I could have done then, or what disease was that?? PLEASE TELL ME, I NEED TO KNOW. THANKS.

Pictures of her attached,
020520101635.jpg

020520101636.jpg

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
RE: HALF BLIND TORTOISE

Oh I am so sorry for your loss :( How old was she. I cant help you on what was wrong but there are great people on here that may give you some answers. Welcome to the forum its a great learning place.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Sorry for your loss :(

It sounds like from your description that he/she had a protozoan problem. To many protozoans in the intestine will put a tortoise off food as the organisms prevent the body from digesting food. Without getting the proper medication from a vet, it would have been impossible to treat him/her on your own.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.