Habitat questions- new to the species!

StephjShank

Hey y'all!
Yesterday I walked into my local petstore to get some crickets, and walked out with a 70lb sulcata tortoise. They said they had it for two weeks, and it was in this little trough that it couldn't move, with kids jumping all over it. They had it posted for $350... I took it home for $200. I am way in over my head. I've never owned anything like this before, and I am still partially debating whether to keep it and try, or to send to a place like The Giraffe farm in FL.

My questions are, I have a large back yard that houses three mini goats. I was thinking of housing him with the three goats, as they don't seem to bother each other and they are all eating timothy and orchid hay (correct me where i'm wrong) and veggies ONLY. It seems that when I put him out with them, though, he was trying to eat dirt. So i'm conflicted on what I should be doing. I talked to the SO and we were going to dig out the sides and lay chicken wire up to the fence poles and bury it about 3 feet into the goat area on all sides. Its tedious but doable. I was also thinking of cornering one area off that just the tortoise could fit into, making him his own area where I can leave him his own veggies once a day (otherwise the goats would eat him out of stock). I live in Florida so its pretty hot. I have one of those igloo dog houses he could fit into, and i'd add a few more hiding spots. My main concern is that its all dirt, should I add mulch?

The petstore gave me only monkey biscuits and calcium to feed him. How much/how often should I be feeding him, and what exactly? This morning he ate a couple of carrots, spinich, romaine and cucumbers.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey y'all!
Yesterday I walked into my local petstore to get some crickets, and walked out with a 70lb sulcata tortoise. They said they had it for two weeks, and it was in this little trough that it couldn't move, with kids jumping all over it. They had it posted for $350... I took it home for $200. I am way in over my head. I've never owned anything like this before, and I am still partially debating whether to keep it and try, or to send to a place like The Giraffe farm in FL.

My questions are, I have a large back yard that houses three mini goats. I was thinking of housing him with the three goats, as they don't seem to bother each other and they are all eating timothy and orchid hay (correct me where i'm wrong) and veggies ONLY. It seems that when I put him out with them, though, he was trying to eat dirt. So i'm conflicted on what I should be doing. I talked to the SO and we were going to dig out the sides and lay chicken wire up to the fence poles and bury it about 3 feet into the goat area on all sides. Its tedious but doable. I was also thinking of cornering one area off that just the tortoise could fit into, making him his own area where I can leave him his own veggies once a day (otherwise the goats would eat him out of stock). I live in Florida so its pretty hot. I have one of those igloo dog houses he could fit into, and i'd add a few more hiding spots. My main concern is that its all dirt, should I add mulch?

The petstore gave me only monkey biscuits and calcium to feed him. How much/how often should I be feeding him, and what exactly? This morning he ate a couple of carrots, spinich, romaine and cucumbers.

Hi and welcome sounds like a good rescue and there are plenty of people here with large Sullys who can help you keep him or even rehome if that's what you decide. @ZEROPILOT lives in Florida and I'm not sure if he has sully's but he will know your weather conditions etc. @Tom and @Yvonne G will also be a great help.

Meanwhile there is a great caresheet for them under species specific which will point you in the right direction with diet etc and also look at the Enclosures thread and beginners mistakes and do a few searches to see if you can find answers there.

A sully that size will need a lot of space and a large tray of water he can get in and out of to self soak and hydrate himself will probably be needed if he has been cooped up in the pet shop.
I'm sure the experienced keepers will jump in soon and they'll be more help than me. Good luck with him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you! I'm reading up o n all the threads now! So much information!
It is mind boggling!
I had no idea how much was involved when I was adopted by a leopard last summer - I have been on a very steep learning curve ever since but this forum has been a god send.

StephjShank

I knew it wouldn't be easy, none of my pets are easy! If you're doing it right its never easy! Its just difficult to narrow down what i'm reading because I feel there is SO MANY different species! LOL! Ask any anything about small pet care (i'm a vet tech SA) or anything about parrot and tarantula care (since I own both) and I got you! This, I am so out of my element lol.

I texted my boyfriend and let him know I was bringing home a tortious. He figured it would fit in my hand. You should have seen the look on his face when he got off of work and walked into a mini dinosaur. HA! I have soooooo many ideas in my head for enclosures, i'm putting him to work tomorrow. For now the mini dino is chilling in my living room.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I knew it wouldn't be easy, none of my pets are easy! If you're doing it right its never easy! Its just difficult to narrow down what i'm reading because I feel there is SO MANY different species! LOL! Ask any anything about small pet care (i'm a vet tech SA) or anything about parrot and tarantula care (since I own both) and I got you! This, I am so out of my element lol.

I texted my boyfriend and let him know I was bringing home a tortious. He figured it would fit in my hand. You should have seen the look on his face when he got off of work and walked into a mini dinosaur. HA! I have soooooo many ideas in my head for enclosures, i'm putting him to work tomorrow. For now the mini dino is chilling in my living room.
Sounds like he's in good hands, but be prepared - when they poop it will be like having a small pony around so have plenty of newspapers around!

StephjShank

Sounds like he's in good hands, but be prepared - when they poop it will be like having a small pony around so have plenty of newspapers around!

Ha, I wouldn't have believed you before yesterday! Good thing I have no carpet!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

If you can give him his own yard and the bigger the better, he'll be a happy camper.