GROWTH RATES

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
These pictures are all of our hatchlings that were produced here at our breeding program in Naples, Florida. We allow them to graze at will on natural vegitation, including cactus and some lettuce. They are all kept in the natural sunshine from day 10.

10 DAYS OLD

2a50nqo.jpg

60 DAYS OLD

kexkk9.jpg

ONE YEAR OLD

sqno9k.jpg

TWO YEARS OLD

20iidf.jpg

THREE YEARS OLD

dcoia.jpg

I would like to add that compared to others, these holdbacks tend to grow slower and are smaller. They all have consistant growth, are smooth and very heavy.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Very interesting thread :) They grow fast and their growth looks very nice. Thanks for sharing!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a really great post! Interesting how much darker they get after 50 days out in the sun. I've noticed all my hatchlings of all species tend to get a good "sun tan" in the first few weeks too.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
interesting! straight forward, I like it :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Do you sell your torts? It is my dream to one day have one :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Missy said:
Do you sell your torts? It is my dream to one day have one :)
We sell hatchlings ever year, the majority wholesale.

SunsetHypo

5 Year Member
Thanks for your post Greg! I have a pair that are about the size of the one in your third pic. How does growth tend to be after that size? In future winters I plan to move them to an outside enclosure, when they get to big for the indoor enclosure, but I have no idea how long that will be. The year by year pics are very helpful, or a year by year average growth chart. As always I appreciate any info you have.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Very nice Greg! I want to post some of growth photos of a radiated in similar fashion, but the ones I am raising still need another year to reach the 3 year mark.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
SunsetHypo said:
Thanks for your post Greg! I have a pair that are about the size of the one in your third pic. How does growth tend to be after that size? In future winters I plan to move them to an outside enclosure, when they get to big for the indoor enclosure, but I have no idea how long that will be. The year by year pics are very helpful, or a year by year average growth chart. As always I appreciate any info you have.
Your young aldabra is one of the smothest I have ever seen imported, very nice. Here is another picture of another two year old, near the same size as yours. Ours tend to grow slower on a natural diet with no supplementation. I know a fellow that has nine of our hatchlings the same year as the one in the picture below, 2008, and all his are double + the size. So many variables to say for sure on the growth trends as a whole. Of course males seem to get bigger faster than females. I would love to see how yours grows compared to how he has grown.

14e5t6p.jpg

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
Awsome thread!!! are the pictures of the same tortoise three years worth or just the age difference between some of your young torts? they are sooooo beautiful!! I want one.....but need to move first.....

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
NEtorts said:
Awsome thread!!! are the pictures of the same tortoise three years worth or just the age difference between some of your young torts? they are sooooo beautiful!! I want one.....but need to move first.....
Not the same tort, all different over the years. :tort:

SunsetHypo

5 Year Member
Your young aldabra is one of the smothest I have ever seen imported, very nice. Here is another picture of another two year old, near the same size as yours. Ours tend to grow slower on a natural diet with no supplementation. I know a fellow that has nine of our hatchlings the same year as the one in the picture below, 2008, and all his are double + the size. So many variables to say for sure on the growth trends as a whole. Of course males seem to get bigger faster than females. I would love to see how yours grows compared to how he has grown.

Here are a few pics of his growth. When I got it last year in April it was 6 inches, and now it is almost 11." The growth is not as even as it was, I think that has to do with the rapid growth on Mazuri and dry winter here in Ohio.

The 3rd pic shows even growth at 6 inches, the first two were taken today.

Attachments

• 2011 tort 543 compressed.jpg
    2011 tort 543 compressed.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 2011 tort 541 2nd compressed.jpg
    2011 tort 541 2nd compressed.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 72
  • aldclean 018.JPG
    aldclean 018.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 78

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
SunsetHypo said:

Here are a few pics of his growth. When I got it last year in April it was 6 inches, and now it is almost 11." The growth is not as even as it was, I think that has to do with the rapid growth on Mazuri and dry winter here in Ohio.

The 3rd pic shows even growth at 6 inches, the first two were taken today.
Very nice growth, looks great.

S

Stewerd

Price rates with Grothw :
All the information related to growth is exactly right here.That is why i want to throw light on prices that tortoise are available in many prices and its depends on the territory from they belong to.for the instance the Pancake Tortoise is a African turtle and most expensive among all.Other wise African turtles are expensive than others because turtle basically is the animal of Africa but you may have in 50 to 200 dollars limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.