Growth question?

behleh

Location (City and/or State)
California
We have had this California Desert Tortoise for 20 years. We have no idea if they are a male or female. Last week, they started growing this bump on their chin. We’ve never noticed this happening before. Today, I went to check on it and take a clearer photo, and it was gone! It definitely did not seem to be anything just stuck on the chin. Anyone have any ideas what it is? Nothing else changed, appetite, movement, everything else seemed totally normal. 0C271918-3001-4FCD-AA85-2B2C0F2D65E7.jpeg0E414271-227C-4C25-AD53-A0C77FBC2177.jpeg

Attachments

• F4A7EED3-86C9-4426-86B5-A87D15F435BF.jpeg
    F4A7EED3-86C9-4426-86B5-A87D15F435BF.jpeg
    740.4 KB · Views: 7

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Taking a picture of the tail area or "cloaca" to identify if it is male or female. Regarding the bump, I've always wondered what that could be. I have seen pictures of deserts tortoises with bumps near their mouth. Hopefully someone more experienced comes and help.

behleh

California
Taking a picture of the tail area or "cloaca" to identify if it is male or female. Regarding the bump, I've always wondered what that could be. I have seen pictures of deserts tortoises with bumps near their mouth. Hopefully someone more experienced comes and help.
Thank you Michael! That is helpful! I will try to take a photo tomorrow, our tortoise has burrowed for the night. :)

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
They are glands that males have. But I don't see a corresponding one on his right side. And I have never seen one look so large.

You said it disappeared...I'm thinking that maybe the gland got infected and then popped. Or it's not a gland at all, and he just had a small abscess there. In which case he could still be she.

Take a couple shots from underneath, one of the whole plastron, and one of the tail area.

behleh

California
Here is a photo of the chin now, sorry it’s out of focus, but they doesn’t keep their head still very much, haha. I’ve also added photos of the tail and under shell area. 6390A320-7784-40EB-9B9F-C428A40C314A.jpeg
EBACA89C-7E43-427A-9896-224C6C7DC485.jpegF106983D-1332-40C2-953E-C8E12393082E.jpeg

behleh

California
They are glands that males have. But I don't see a corresponding one on his right side. And I have never seen one look so large.

You said it disappeared...I'm thinking that maybe the gland got infected and then popped. Or it's not a gland at all, and he just had a small abscess there. In which case he could still be she.

Take a couple shots from underneath, one of the whole plastron, and one of the tail area.

Thank you, I’ve posted some photos to the thread!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Looks female to me too. I can't see chin glands, I don't see a significant curve to the plastron, and almost no gular horn.

In a 20 year old, all those things should be easily visible.

But I'm no expert. Maybe someone else will pop in.

behleh

California
Looks female to me too. I can't see chin glands, I don't see a significant curve to the plastron, and almost no gular horn.

In a 20 year old, all those things should be easily visible.

But I'm no expert. Maybe someone else will pop in.
Thanks Karen! We’ve always guessed and addressed her as if she’s female, but we’ve never really looked into it. We’ve had her for 20 years, but she was given to us already fully grown, so we’re not sure how old she is. She (or he) may be much older.

Krowley123

Orange, Calif 92865
We have had this California Desert Tortoise for 20 years. We have no idea if they are a male or female. Last week, they started growing this bump on their chin. We’ve never noticed this happening before. Today, I went to check on it and take a clearer photo, and it was gone! It definitely did not seem to be anything just stuck on the chin. Anyone have any ideas what it is? Nothing else changed, appetite, movement, everything else seemed totally normal. View attachment 293844View attachment 293845
If your tortoise is concave under breath (tummy area of its shell) it is a Male. If it is flat it is a female. The male clubs on top of the female to mate.

Obbie

Minnesota
My gut says female....she doesn’t appear to have the huge battering rams under her head, small tail