Growing Sulcata Food in Coco Coir

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
I just ordered the northern/indoor seed mix from sulcatafood.com. Is it possible to grow this in coconut coir? This is what I use as the substrate for my sulcata and I'd like to grow it in an area of his enclosure. The seed mix contains "organic gold wheat grass, bahia grass, timothy grass, orchard grass, oat grass, rye grass, dandelion, chicory, and other tortoise favorites."

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
IIRC coir doesn't really have much in the way of nutrients so you will need to fertilize (ie compost) for best results.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I've been growing tortoise seed for 6 months in coco coir only. The trick is the high quality uvb which I get from my reptisun 10.0 tube light I've installed inside my enclosure. My sully Pheenie will eat all the clovers he can find and then leave the grass which I rip out every 14 days or so and cut off the roots and cut small on top of his salad. Which THEN he'll eat :rolleyes:. Heres some pics of day 5 of my seed growing in only coco coir & my baby pheenie :)
pheenie.jpg
growing grass 2.jpg
growing grass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
happyjoyjoy said:
I've been growing tortoise seed for 6 months in coco coir only. The trick is the high quality uvb which I get from my reptisun 10.0 tube light I've installed inside my enclosure. My sully Pheenie will eat all the clovers he can find and then leave the grass which I rip out every 14 days or so and cut off the roots and cut small on top of his salad. Which THEN he'll eat :rolleyes:. Heres some pics of day 5 of my seed growing in only coco coir & my baby pheenie :)

Is this the bulb you use? Zoo Med ReptiSun® 10.0 High Output UVB Fluorescent Bulb, 15 Watts, 18-Inch. I am about to replace my uvb bulb because it's about 4 months old and its the t8 version. Is that the seed from sulcatafood.com? Or is that another seed mix?

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Mines from carolinapetsupply.com and boy does is GROW. I got grazing tortoise seed mix. and yes that is the exact bulb I use mine is just longer. I've been using them for years for most of my reptiles.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
happyjoyjoy said:
Mines from carolinapetsupply.com and boy does is GROW. I got grazing tortoise seed mix. and yes that is the exact bulb I use mine is just longer. I've been using them for years for most of my reptiles.

Okay thanks! I ordered the sulcatafood.com mix and I'm going to try that. If he doesn't like it my next stop was going to be carolina pet supply, but if he likes it why change a good thing. Thanks again though. I'll repost when i get it and it starts growing.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
BowDownBowser said:
happyjoyjoy said:

Okay thanks! I ordered the sulcatafood.com mix and I'm going to try that. If he doesn't like it my next stop was going to be carolina pet supply, but if he likes it why change a good thing. Thanks again though. I'll repost when i get it and it starts growing.

Your welcome! Good luck!

J_W

Colorado
Re: RE: Growing Sulcata Food in Coco Coir

BowDownBowser said:

I'm sure he will love it. I ordered from the same place and my sully loves it, especially the clover. You can see her eating it on their website in the contest page, she won for February. :D

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Re: RE: Growing Sulcata Food in Coco Coir

J_W said:
BowDownBowser said:

I'm sure he will love it. I ordered from the same place and my sully loves it, especially the clover. You can see her eating it on their website in the contest page, she won for February. :D

Awesome! Is yours Patton? I had no idea there was a contest but I'm definitely going to send in pictures once it starts to grow now that I know! Thanks!

J_W

Colorado
Yeah Patton is my monster. :p Like I said she loves it and their customer service is outstanding. You can't go wrong with them.