Shelby missed her morning soak, NOT

Location (City and/or State)
Port St Lucie, FL
I have been off my feet for 2 days from a stupid household accident that required stitches. Yesterday was the second morning my husband was supposed to be taking care of Shelby for me. As I know he has no clue what weeds and leaves to feed her I said let's just make this easy and I gave him instructions to place out some romaine lettuce and use a spray bottle to freshen up yesterdays weeds not eaten yet and pour water all over the enclosure (actually giving the true instructions) and safely he got a few new hibiscus leaves to place in corners. No soak she'll be fine. The second morning I hobbled out to the patio to check on her as hubby was still out on his morning walk. There she was! 3/4 way into the water dish which is a 3" terracotta flower pot bottom, empty just a drop of water left and it appears she wanted her soak! She was just staring up in space, I could read her mind she was thinking THIS IS NOT THE BATH I AM USED TO!! Today the third day I hobbled out to give her the real morning soak and make sure she gets the right weeds. He picked lots of weed and vines and I told him what to look for most of it was not what she eats. I do not want to poison her! I sent him back out with better descriptions and when he returned I said let's do this together so you know what to do if this happens again. We got most of what she likes, no flowers today though too far for me to walk. Just checked on her and she went through all the piles of weeds looking for what she likes, spread piles all over, ate the yellow flowers off the succulent weeds left the greens, & is now in the opening of her cave, not in not out. I think she is still hungry LOL I'll break down and give her a piece of lettuce to be sure she eats today. Tomorrow she is back to being all mine to take care of again. Mind you I did not miss all the other animal care twice a day on the farm but I missed Shelby because she lives with me on the patio (it's 95 degrees out there for the 10th day) Someday she will be bringing herself to our pond for a soak.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
LOL! I keep a printed instruction sheet attached to my enclosure. I'm often called away on business for days on end, so I did that so my wife would have no question of what to do or when. I even marked the water level on the tupperware container I use to soak it in. lol

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
I hope you are better soon, sounds like she was well taken care of while you couldn't. yay for your husband.

Port St Lucie, FL
I hope you are better soon, sounds like she was well taken care of while you couldn't. yay for your husband.
I like the idea of a list of insrtructions, after all, we do that for our farm sitters. I just wrote down all the edible flowering plants and herbs I can plant and I will be able to feed her from my own grown plants, weeds are abundant just have to get before mowing. I was gone for ten days during the fourth of July but I never even thought to tell him what to feed her. I think he did lettuce to be on the safe side, with broad grass, Hibiscus leaves (she never tried a flower even though I have given her one) and the clover we have all over and I think I have been giving her thistle but I'm not sure. Either way, she was happy and healthy when I got home. He's a natural caretaker, (medical field retired). He loves all living beings, he's my man. My 5 Stitches in for another week but I can walk! NO shoes NO pool but I can walk!
I posted the second weigh-in for Shelby Hatched 5-18-18 received 6-12 weight 40gr L 3.5"
7-12 weight 51gr L 3.4"
I measure behind head, shell to tail for length is that what you measure?