Growing food

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have a leopard tort that will turn 1 year old in November. This will be his first winter with me and he finally just now started growing like crazy.

At what point do I switch from spring greens to a more grassy food?

and
Does anyone have any suggestions on growing plants/food indoor over the winter for a leopard tort? Keep in mind, I live in Ohio, but my tort has his own bedroom in which I plan on trying to grow greens for winter. I already have a Hibiscus bush I'll be moving into the room from our front porch. I've had it for around three months and understand the leaves and flowers are edible?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most leopards don't take to grass at a young age. I did find that mine likes the cat grass, (not cat nip). I have grown weeds in coconut coir when my leopard lived inside. The hibiscus is good. If you can try to get some rose of Sharon too and grape leaves, and optunia cactus pads. Check out thetortoisetable.org for more edible plant, weed and flower ideas. Oh, by the way, try to get him on the more natural foods ASAP, even from the beginning, he should be fed it, if he will eat it.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
wellington said:
Most leopards don't take to grass at a young age. I did find that mine likes the cat grass, (not cat nip). I have grown weeds in coconut coir when my leopard lived inside. The hibiscus is good. If you can try to get some rose of Sharon too and grape leaves, and optunia cactus pads. Check out thetortoisetable.org for more edible plant, weed and flower ideas. Oh, by the way, try to get him on the more natural foods ASAP, even from the beginning, he should be fed it, if he will eat it.

More natural meaning like the foods you listed, right? Like the rose of Sharon, cactus, and grape leaves? Thanks wellington!

Status
Not open for further replies.