Growing endive?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
When is the best time of year to grow endive? We have a winter garden with collards and mustard greens. I was under the impression that endive could be planted in fall and produce most of the winter. But then endive I planted isn’t doing so well.
I live in SC.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most lettuces do well as winter plants, but I think it has to be a fairly mild winter climate. I planted spring mix, different lettuces, escarole and endive two years in a row and fed my tortoises off it all winter. Even on frosty nights, when the leaves were frozen in the a.m. the plants continued to grow and produce.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Most lettuces do well as winter plants, but I think it has to be a fairly mild winter climate. I planted spring mix, different lettuces, escarole and endive two years in a row and fed my tortoises off it all winter. Even on frosty nights, when the leaves were frozen in the a.m. the plants continued to grow and produce.
Thanks, maybe I just got a weak batch of seeds. Luckily we still have some patches of green grass and weeds all over the place.