growing clovers and bermuda

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
waco tx
i am trying to grow white clovers and bermuda grass outside in planting pots..they will start growing well but after two weeks all of my pot's soil where infested with tiny little white bugs that kill the clovers. i even had one pot that was infested with maggots so bad that it looked like the soil was boiling....is their any organic repellants that i can use that is safe for my hatchling sulcatas??????????

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
You could try mixing mint plants in the pots, it may repel the bugs. If you could describe the bugs or better post picture, it would help.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
Itort said:
You could try mixing mint plants in the pots, it may repel the bugs. If you could describe the bugs or better post picture, it would help.

they do not infest the plants. they are in the soil, and kill the roots. they have the shape of a football. they are about a little smaller than a flea, and there are thousands of them in each pot.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
mtdavis817254 said:
Itort said:

they do not infest the plants. they are in the soil, and kill the roots. they have the shape of a football. they are about a little smaller than a flea, and there are thousands of them in each pot.

In this case a picture would be worth a thousand words. Any chance you can post one??? Oh and mint mixed into the soil in the pots would help keep these or some bugs out. they almost sound like aphids but aphids infect the plants not the soil.

evin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
manteca, Ca
you can try again keeping the pots inside the house, i have bermuda growing under one of my tanks in the tank stand. i have a regular aquarium light over it

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Maybe you are watering to much?? I would try the mint and maybe some ladybugs?? I don't know without seeing a picture.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
They have to be in the potting soil you are using.. what else could it be? Change the soil!

Terry K

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
does your bermuda grow well in the tank. i was thinking about doing that as well.. i moved my new tray of bermuda in my walkway where it gets DIRECT sunlight all day,and i only mist it once in the evening.. i thought it was to hot for them in the direct sunlight because it gets to 103 degrees in this part of texas during the summer, but this pot's grass is alot darker and the blades seem to be thicker..

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
Redfoot NERD said:
They have to be in the potting soil you are using.. what else could it be? Change the soil!

Terry K

since they are outside it COULD be insects that have made refuge in my pots.. i still threw out all the soil but that is because i used it all im my pots and they all became infested...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
mtdavis817254 said:
Redfoot NERD said:

Terry K

since they are outside it COULD be insects that have made refuge in my pots.. i still threw out all the soil but that is because i used it all im my pots and they all became infested...
You can also bake the soil. The heat will kill the bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.