Greetings from Greece!

ImMel

Hello fellows, today as i was walking on my garden i found a little tortoise on the ground. I picked it up and i thought of keeping it. After finding a small aquarium i had for few years i tried to create a neat place for the little guy. I filled it up with dirt and i planted some vegetation just to emulate the enviroment of my garden.

QaYDa2K.jpg

I feel so greatfull i found a forum dedicated to those magnificent species. I have no idea what kind of tortoise is but i assume its a greek tortoise??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mel, and welcome to the Forum!

Take a walk around your garden and see if you can find anymore babies. Most of them lay at least 4 eggs at a time, sometimes more. It's quite possible a bird dropped the baby in your garden, but if it's not fenced, it could be that the mother actually made her nest in there.

We have a good care sheet for Greek tortoises pinned at the top of our Greek section.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
salutations. Enjoy your visits to the forum.

ImMel

Hi Mel, and welcome to the Forum!

Take a walk around your garden and see if you can find anymore babies. Most of them lay at least 4 eggs at a time, sometimes more. It's quite possible a bird dropped the baby in your garden, but if it's not fenced, it could be that the mother actually made her nest in there.

We have a good care sheet for Greek tortoises pinned at the top of our Greek section.
We saw a tortoise few weeks ago and we left it alone in the garder. Probably she is the mother :)
The garden has tons of vegetation since we didnt took care of it but i will take a look and see if i can find any other tortoises

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
You have found the best place for up to date information on the internet.
But just a thought - I've no idea about the tortoise laws anywhere in the world, but are you allowed to take them out of the wild in Greece? I'm sure a more informed member will be able to answer this.
I only ask because in some countries or parts of US it's not, and once they have been kept as pets I think I've read here that they can't be released back.
Hope it's all OK for you and that you are ready for the long haul as it should outlive you!!
Good luck!

ImMel

Hi and welcome.
You have found the best place for up to date information on the internet.
But just a thought - I've no idea about the tortoise laws anywhere in the world, but are you allowed to take them out of the wild in Greece? I'm sure a more informed member will be able to answer this.
I only ask because in some countries or parts of US it's not, and once they have been kept as pets I think I've read here that they can't be released back.
Hope it's all OK for you and that you are ready for the long haul as it should outlive you!!
Good luck!
This law is for protected animals only. None would even care acout a tortoise. Actually none would give a dman even if i took a unicorn :p

That is a good idea to use sticks to break up the visual line of sight through the glass. Welcome.

Thats what i thought but he could see through them so i had to stick a sheet of A4 on the glass.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
This law is for protected animals only.
Greece is a member state of the EU and that means you are not allowed to take endangered species from the wild and keep them as pets.
Testudo graeca is protected by law. Every pet tortoise has to have paperworks and a photo documentation to make sure they were not captured illegally.