Greens, greens, and more greens!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness- that is what we will do for our tortoise for a Christmas present! So funny. Could you grow it in your yard? I'm going to look into that because we have a small garden. I tried some and it's so bitter, I'm surprised they like it so much.

That's amazing that your tortoise is 20!
I have looked into growing it ourselves, but it doesn't seem that easy to grow -at least buying it I know it will be good large heads like these. I wish we had known about it earlier in his life - his favourite things before that were red and yellow peppers (only little bits as a treat) - and cucumber, which he still loves, but also has as a treat. At least radicchio has quite a bit of fibre in it, which is good.
Zola will be 21 in July, and we have had him since he was ! year old. If you are interested, you could look up Please welcome Zola in the introductions section - about last October ,I think, where I wrote a long description of his unusual life - he is wonderful.
Angie

Sheldons Gran

Location (City and/or State)
Slane
Hi all! Is anyone else's tortoise obsessed with Radicchio? Who would think it could be so exciting! We've been giving our Hermann's an organic spring mix (plus dandelion, a bit of cucumber and other veggies). The spring mix has a TON of greens so I wanted to be sure none were dangerous:

Red & Green Leaf
Collard Greens
Frisse
Mustard Greens
Arugula
Kake
Beet Greens
Mizuna
Tatsoi
Swiss Chard
and his favorite Radicchio

I can't tell what's what (except spinach that I take out), so if any are not safe for him I think I need to find another Spring Mix. Thanks for your thoughts and any other staples for Hermann's!
Our little guy is a picky eater too. Will fling everything else aside to get at the radicchio. He also loves kale, dandelion and melon as a treat. He will also eat a bit of lambs lettuce if there's nothing else on offer. He's gaining weight and very active, so I'm hoping he's fine with what he picks from the mix!