Green Sea Turtles.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Which island and what beach? Beautiful, just beautiful. We got too enjoy some when we were in Hawaii a coupke years ago. One almost swam right up to my son. Sea turtles are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
We are on the big Island and the beach is called Punaloo Black sand beach. And you right, so beautiful and amazing! I hear you can swim with them too in the right beach, the locals know where. Also I hear they like to hangout near some waterfalls too haha. And no problem! I'm glad to share and I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
On Oahu is where we were. Northshore you can swim with them. Of course still no touching and if them swim upto you, you need to move. They are big, but boy they can sneak up on you. I could have stayed for hours just watching them. I took so many pictures of the areas I was at largest one basking in the beach. I just didn't want to leave. Enjoy, they are amazing.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Thanks! No worries I definatley won't touch or bother them, I just enjoy being able to see them and let them do what they want in there habitat, I'm going to take a submarine so hopefully I can see them swimming without bothering them too much. And you are definatley right, we know some people that live here and they have stories about how sneaky they are and one second there almost on top of you haha. I didn't want to leave ether, and I hope I get to see them again soon! They truly are amazing.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Diving with sea turtles was an amazing experience. I've done it a few times now and I can't wait to do it again. My ex has over 2000 dives under his belt so he tends to just roll his eyes at me when I get excited about seeing turtles. They are so much more thrilling ot see under the water than on the beach, definitely take the submarine ride or even grab a snorkel and some fins!

TMartin510

Fremont, California
I'm definatley doin the submarine ether tomorow or wensday, I did snorkeling today didn't get to see any turtles sadly, just got smacked by a wave and accidently landed on an urchin, ouch it hurt. I hope I get to see them under water though when there awake and swimming! I just think it's awesome how they can chill there and bask and sleep while all those people are around, they did not have one care in the world they were comfy haha.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I nearly drown when I spotted my first one while snorkeling because I screamed and flooded my mask. I probably would have followed it out to sea otherwise. I've got a big print of this up in my office.
p1150125496-4.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Not really, not like a sea lion or a big fish. they just sort of glide along. I realize you aren't supposed to touch them, but more than once they have touched me. That and I did cut a fishing line off a little guy who had it trailing behind him.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Oh ok haha I saw a documentary last night apparently it's a big risk for them to hit land, and even more when the tide comes in and takes them back out with sharks lurking. I guess they can't go back out till the tide comes in?
And why aren't you spose to cut them out of curiosity. And that sounds good I bet the lil guy was thankful!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
You just aren't supposed to touch them at all, I think it is a conservation thing. I highly doubt the scuba police would be giving me a citation for helping rather than hurting though. I've seen experienced divers do it before. I think they just don't want people restraining and stressing the turtles for no good reason.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Oh ok I was just wondering if touching them is harmful, I know they need to come up for air so that's why you gotta get out of there way. Some swam up to the shore today where I was swimming and people kept trying to pet them, no authority around so we told them that they can't do that but I don't think they understood too well. And I noticed my last message said cut and I meant touch haha that's auto correct for you. But that makes sense, if people hold them down or are in there way they can't get air.

TMartin510

Fremont, California
Some sea turtle pics

Attachments

• 1439441176844.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 14
  • 1439441188581.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1439441198584.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 13

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Thanks for sharing...I love sea turtles. They are beautiful animals. It's a truly amazing experience when you see them up close.