Green poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad4130

5 Year Member
I've noticed over the past 2 weeks my lil Sulcata Ernesto has been having very green dissipated diarrhea type poo in his bath .

When I first got him he was for the first 3 weeks having more solid stools .

I've tried varying his diet from spring mix / dandelion greens to more wheat grass
Carrot , squash , kale , spring mix , zucchini , Cactus etc.

Any suggestions ??
I'm starting to get a little worried I'm doing something wrong .

FYI - he's get a full soaking for 20-30min daily , normal consistent temps in his enclosure , feeding him vitamin/calcium powder etc.

Thank you for the help
Brad and Ernesto

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
It might be a reaction to the squash and zucchini if s/he is unaccustomed to it or an adjustment to new foods. I noticed a similar change in my Sulcata's stool when I began to add new items. I increased fiber intake and all is well now. To do so you may want to chop up pesticide free grass and sprinkle it on all foods. I do this and also do it with orchard grass hay and Timothy grass hay. In order to get Tilly to eat it, I chop it up finely in a food processor and include it with every feeding.

Brad4130

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info
He really seems to love the white centers of the yellow squash .
I changed out the lettuce plant in his tank to a wheat grass plant and I've noticed increased snacking at night so hopefully this might add some fiber to his diet .
I've also chopped it up and added it into his food .
Right now he's so small a couple bites of each piece seems to tide him over .

Brad4130

5 Year Member
Here's a really good pic of the kind of Poo I'm referring too .

Please if anyone knows what's causing this let me know . I'm honestly getting worried about the lil guy .
Taking him to the vet early next week just to see .

image-2501886478.png

Here's the photo

image-1168134478.png

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Take a fresh poop sample when you go the vet..
but if he is eating a lot of cactus,, then that will do it.. grasses are best.. let them graze or hand pick and feed.

Brad4130

5 Year Member
Laura
Yes I'm taking a sample in for the vet .
He haven't been eating allot of cactus , only about 2-3 big bites a day .
He still prefers squash and baby greens .

Brad4130

5 Year Member
Took Ernesto to the Vet this morning , I found a great referral in the Vet listing .
The Doc took a look a Ernesto a d the first thing he comment on was that he was a bit chubby at 47g at 4 1/2 months old.

The did a fecal check and it turns out he did have parasites . The doctor suggested a deworming procedure . I oped for the 3 consecutive visits with oral treatment and a small hydration shot.

The tech said Ernesto seemed Fine with the shot but didn't like having his mouth opened up . He was tucked deeply back into his shell when she gave him back to me , but started walking around before we left ( I had him in a large tupperware container w/ some clean rags and food )

Once we got home he seemed fine , walking around on my desk exploring everything possible . Then once I put him in his tank he dug into his burrow and crashed out . I'm keeping a eye on him today just to make sure he's doing ok with the treatment .
2 more appointments to go , I hope this all works out .

Status
Not open for further replies.