Green iguanas?

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I have a 5 yo female sulcata and a 4 yo male leopard. Thinking about adding an iguana to our family. But don't know enough about them. Anyone had them a long time and can tell me pros and cons, diet, and especially habitat? Also do they have personality to make a decent pet? I know they aren't a dog, but what's their temperament like? Also is their a forum like this one available for iguana owners? Thanks.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I strongly discourage people from iguana ownership.

I LOVED my iguana. I still miss having him, but as an adult he required a whole bedroom to himself. They take a TON of socializing and even then I don't trust them because they are so sensitive to pheromones and are territorial. My iguana was as sweet as pie for 6 years. A real peach and one day he was grumpy and I was severely injured by him. $4k, two emergency rooms, a plastic surgeon and 40+ stitches later I still have a scar from him trying to rip my face off in an unprovoked attack.

IF you do decide you want the challenge of iguana ownership I do find them to be very rewarding, but I always try to steer folks toward bearded dragons, blue tongued skinks or other more easily managed lizards.

If you have kids (especially kids who have friends who visit) I really think you should look at all options and weigh out the risk and reward.

And as always, don't support the pet trade, adopt!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Iguanas run wild here in South Florida because over the decades people bought them as pets and then released them when they decided that an iguana wasn't a great pet.
I kept half a dozen in a very large dog kennel.
Some were docile. Some very aggressive.
You'll need a very large cage. Preferably outdoors with a water area and a lot of high climbing branches.
They are omnivores but mostly eat plants and flowers.
Finding a young one and handling it regularly might get it accustomed to you handling it.
I never handled mine much. They stayed pretty wild, but they allowed me to enter the enclosure without becoming defensive or hostile.
Anyone else entering would have left bloodied.
Here, they live in loose groups with the largest male being dominant and often showing red or orange coloring.
They live near water and trees. They bask and eat during the day and retreat into the trees to sleep.
They are certainly interesting. But I never found them to be a great pet.
Mildly dangerous and often growing to six feet long.

Attachments

• 20160630_125251-1.jpg
    20160630_125251-1.jpg
    406.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20160223_103606.jpg
    20160223_103606.jpg
    819.7 KB · Views: 8