Greek Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
No that's not true. We need some info on your tortoise.

I have a two and a half month old Greek, and she is not soft at ALL. There is the SLIGHTEST give on her plastron (bottom of her shell), but nothing that I would consider soft at all.

Your baby should not have a soft shell at all.

You need to up the Ca. Dust every meal. Also, are you using a UVB light? If you aren't, get one. A trex 100W are my favorite.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Zuber:
38815haz7u3xuqw.gif

to the forum!

Tortoises need UV from either the sun or from an expensive light bulb in order to process the calcium they eat. If they don't have the UV (vitamin D) the calcium just passes right through and doesn't grow their shell and bones strong.

This is from the Tortoise Trust:

"Calcium and Vitamin D-3

Tortoises tend to be found in regions where the soils are relatively rich in calcium and other essential trace elements. They also have free access to sunlight for basking. Natural sunlight contains UV-B radiation which is required by the tortoise to internally synthesize vitamin-D3. This is required by the tortoise to enable it to use the calcium it consumes in its food. Without an adequate level of D3, this calcium is useless for building bones. In order to synthesize D3 properly, both UV-B radiation and radiant heat is required. For more on this subject see the �Reptile Lighting� article referenced below. True rain forest species obviously cannot and do not bask to the same extent as species from deserts or plains. Their diets tend to be very different, in that such species are usually omnivores. Much of the vitamin D3 component they require is, in this instance, met from the animal component of their diets. They are therefore far less dependent upon basking than exclusive herbivores. This is merely one example of how environmental factors influence diet, and vice versa. Tortoises have quite a high demand for calcium in their diets, especially when undergoing rapid growth (a juvenile, for example) or in the case of egg-laying females. Such animals tend to actively seek out extra calcium to meet these needs. If it is not available, they can rapidly suffer deficiencies."

Yvonne

[email protected]

5 Year Member
My greek tortoise shell is soft. what do you recommend?

She is 6in by 4 in she was born 12/04. I will get some calcium as you all have recommended.

She had been eating well unless the last two weeks. She likes peas and corn.

[My greek tortoise shell is soft. what do you recommend?
[/quote]

She is 6in by 4 in she was born 12/04. I will get some calcium as you all have recommended.

She had been eating well unless the last two weeks. She likes peas and corn.
[/quote]

I take I can get the vitamin D and Calium at the pet store?

I have the UVB light.

Thank you everyone for your help. Rafella is very special to us.

My greek tortoise shell is soft. what do you recommend?

If she is not eating , then how do I get the calcium and vitamin D down her?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She needs a UVB bulb. How long have you had her? How long has she been soft?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If she is not eating , then how do I get the calcium and vitamin D down her?

In the first place, the Vit.d comes from the sun. The sun gives off UV radiation and the tortoise absorbs this through its skin and converts it to the Vit.d required to make its calcium work. So you don't have to worry about the tortoise eating Vit.d. You just have to make sure you either let him be in the sun or buy him an expensive UV light.

As for the calcium part of the question. "My tortoise is not eating." is a common problem, with many different answers. We need to know how you have the tortoise set up. Is he warm enough? Tortoises need to be able to get their body temperature up to at least 80 degrees in order to digest their food. So if they're not warm enough they won't eat. And room temperature is NOT warm enough for a tortoise.

Secondly, what kinds of foods are you offering? Maybe its not something that he recognizes as food? Peas and corn are not the best diet for a tortoise. I recommend you read the list of foods shown here:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

But my own personal opinion is that you probably have a type of tortoise that hibernates and the tortoise is noticing the shorter, cooler days and has stopped eating in order to clean out its digestive tract prior to hibernation. Since your tortoise has a soft shell, I recommend DO NOT let it hibernate. I see you've said the tortoise was hatched in '04. A five year old tortoise should not be soft. This problem has been a long time in the making. A five year old tortoise that is not getting the proper diet and sun, will eventually grow soft and die. You need to get this tortoise to a vet ASAP, and do some research to update and correct your tortoise-keeping procedures. I'm not picking one you, I'm just worried about your tortoise.

YVonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Zuber Welcome to the forum. Yes greeks should not have peas often and no corn. They need broad leaf greens, you could use spring mix and add curly endive or escarole for a start. If you have her under a uvb lamp how old is it and what type is it? What are the temps in her enclosure. Her shell should not be soft. Please post a pic of her and her enclosure so we can better help you help her.

Status
Not open for further replies.