Best substrate for a Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildhearted

5 Year Member
I'm preparing to buy my first tortoise which is goin to be an ibera greek and I was wondering what everyone would recommend for substrate? I want to get the enclosure and supplies ready before I make my purchase.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I have used cypress mulch over a layer of topsoil. Both can be purchased from home improvement stores for very low prices and I've had no trouble with these

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I really like using coconut coir. I buy it as a triple pack of compressed bricks ("Eco Earth"), and I add a gallon of warm water per brick, let it expand, mix in about 1.5 cups per brick of play sand (1:1 by dry weight). It holds moisture well, and it doesn't get moldy. The torts (I have RTs and a Greek, kept separately, of course) love to burrow in it. I wait for a 'buy one get one free' sale, and get 2 packs of 3 bricks for $8. That's enough to fill our 3'x6' enclosure nice and deep (minimum of 4 inches). The 'hot' side of the tort fort is covered in flagstone.

I've used organic soil, but haven't been super happy with that. It gets moldy faster, and one time hatched a bunch of gnats.

wildhearted said:
I've heard that aspen bedding is good as well. Any opinions on that?

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
I usually use peat moss which works well but iv been using Coconut coir and i really like it so far.I pretty sure ill be sticking with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.