greek tortoise food?

satgo

hi i keep my baby tortoise in terarium/bath every day/also sun lighg.but my problem is with food.he is greek tortoise and he is 1 month/is hard to every day give him green leaves in terarium and also he dont eat them.so what give him to be easy prepare and good for him??now i give him aloevera and cucumber.tnx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Both of the food items you're offering to your baby are full of water and not very nutritious. Are you in the U.S.? Knowing the answer to this question helps up know what type of things for you to buy. For instance, I buy packaged salads for my babies consisting of endive, radicchio, escarole, and baby lettuces. I also pick weeds from the yard including hollyhock leaves, grape leaves, mulberry leaves. I chop all this up together and the babies eat it.

satgo

Both of the food items you're offering to your baby are full of water and not very nutritious. Are you in the U.S.? Knowing the answer to this question helps up know what type of things for you to buy. For instance, I buy packaged salads for my babies consisting of endive, radicchio, escarole, and baby lettuces. I also pick weeds from the yard including hollyhock leaves, grape leaves, mulberry leaves. I chop all this up together and the babies eat it.
tnx alot.i live in iran.i tryed diffrent leaves and he dont like them.only he eat aloevera and cactus he love them.i should try other leaves

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Yvonne. I do realize that lettuce and cucumbers are not of much good. But I've had a problem with my Greek tort: it's EXTREMELY PICKY with FOOD. I posted a thread as far as this subject is concerned but did not get much help, I'm sorry to say. I was adviced to stop feeding my tort lettuce, and when my tort gets very hungry it'd eat what you mentioned in your post, such as: grape leaves, mulberry leaves and so on. Regret to say this did not work. Not everything that is said can be put into practice. My tort just would NOT eat. Ok, torts can put up with hunger, but for how long? I'd very much appreciate your help and advice, but please, please do not tell me to leave my tort till it gets hungry and eats. This would not be of help. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But, Gillian, that's what I do. If I've taken in a rescue that won't eat, I don't feed it. After a week or so it's very glad to eat what I offer.

Have your tortoise tested for parasites and given a good physical exam. If the vet finds nothing wrong with the tortoise then a bit of starvation won't hurt it.

For tortoises that can eat fruit I've found the chopping up greens then mixing some Gerber strained fruit in with the greens, mixing it up until its all incorporated, sometimes gets them to start eating.

That's all I know to tell you. Sorry.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
But, Gillian, that's what I do. If I've taken in a rescue that won't eat, I don't feed it. After a week or so it's very glad to eat what I offer.

Have your tortoise tested for parasites and given a good physical exam. If the vet finds nothing wrong with the tortoise then a bit of starvation won't hurt it.

For tortoises that can eat fruit I've found the chopping up greens then mixing some Gerber strained fruit in with the greens, mixing it up until its all incorporated, sometimes gets them to start eating.

That's all I know to tell you. Sorry.
No need for that 'sorry.' Your post was extremely helpful-more helpful than posts I've received for ages! Thank you very much.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Are your temperatures warm enough? Do you have any heat/light other than the sun. I don't know what your temp range is in Iran but if he is too cold he may not want to eat.

satgo

Are your temperatures warm enough? Do you have any heat/light other than the sun. I don't know what your temp range is in Iran but if he is too cold he may not want to eat.
no he eat alot.green leaves and.../temperture in room near 27-29/3 hour direct sun light and 4 hour ordinary flourcent warm color/and give him buttlebone and...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
no he eat alot.green leaves and.../temperture in room near 27-29/3 hour direct sun light and 4 hour ordinary flourcent warm color/and give him buttlebone and...
I think he may need to be warmer than that as temperatures at floor level are much lower. What about night heat?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
near 20 in night
Have you read the caresheets for Greek tortoises? That will tell you what your tort needs. Also look at the Enclosures section for ideas to see if you can find something to suit your finances - it doesn't have to be expensive.

Did you buy your tortoise or find it in the wild?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It does not sound like you have the correct set up, heating and lighting. Without the proper temperatures, you tortoise will not have much appetite. Please read these care sheets. Care for Greeks is essentially the same as is it for russians and hermanni.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is a whole list of foods to offer. Try mixing in small amount of these new unfamiliar foods with the foods your tortoise is familiar with. You can also put some aloe or cucumber in a blender and then rub the puree all over the new foods.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

satgo

many many tnx.i decide to set new set up.in place hat is always hot.humid and direct light of sun.and about food i had read them befor and tnx for remembering.

JadaJadaJadsa

Decatur Michigan
Here is a whole list of foods to offer. Try mixing in small amount of these new unfamiliar foods with the foods your tortoise is familiar with. You can also put some aloe or cucumber in a blender and then rub the puree all over the new foods.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles