Greek shell issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Vernon Hills, IL
Hi all, from snowy Chicago!

My two 10 month old greeks are absolutely thriving, mostly thanks to you on this forum. They put on weight, they look great (no pyramiding, though not perfectly smooth), and they seem happy. However, they each have a shell anomoly that I want to float by you.

Both torts - mostly Cujo - seem to have scutes growing over other scutes. Here's a pic showing what I'm talking about.

The shell from one scute is growing back over the growth lines behind it. This is issue #1 - Is this a problem or not? Both torts show this, though Cujo's seems more promenant.

The second issue is harder to see, and harder to show. Tweek, my lighter Greek, has a wierd spot (2 actually) on his shell. Here's some pics.

Hopefully this shows enough. The first pic shows 2 bad areas. The first is outlined by a slightly darker area. The 2nd is just discolored in this pic. The 2nd pic has an arrow pointing to what I think is a fleck of shell, sticking up. The 3rd pic shows that Tweek has a bit of the first issue as well.

Hopefully the pics are good enough for you experts to tell me what's going on. Thanks again for all of your help. Now, a couple of pics of the guys not zoomed in.

One note: The overlapping scute issue is not new. I went back months in pics and it's been there for some time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can help them split apart by keeping that section lubricated. You can paint it with a Q-tip dipped in olive oil or something that would provide lubrication. I wouldn't use Vaseline because that is sort of drying. Just a bit, you don't need to coat the whole shell. Just paint the seams.

One of our more knowledgeable forum members, Egyptiandan, wrote something about this a while back. I'll try to find it for you. Or you all can try the search function and see who can find it first! :p

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
I failed - miserably - to find it. :-( so if you could it would be appreciated.

Do you have any thoughts on the other issue? Perhaps someone else has an opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.