Greek or Russian?

Poseidon's Mama

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, CA
I’m new here as I recently adopted a tortoise from a shelter. Before I got there to pick him up, I was told he is a Russian tort and approx 1 yo. I joined another tort group and upon seeing Poseidon, all the commenting members said he is Greek and definitely not a year old. Maybe even closer to 35yo or so. Can I get some help here?
Here’s a picture of this handsome dude.

Attachments

• IMG_7535.jpeg
    IMG_7535.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7468.jpeg
    IMG_7468.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I’m new here as I recently adopted a tortoise from a shelter. Before I got there to pick him up, I was told he is a Russian tort and approx 1 yo. I joined another tort group and upon seeing Poseidon, all the commenting members said he is Greek and definitely not a year old. Maybe even closer to 35yo or so. Can I get some help here?

i agree with him not being a Russian and probably being much older. Which shelter did you get him from?

zovick

10 Year Member!
The people who said the tortoise is close to 35 years old are correct. That is no yearling tortoise.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Glad you got him. Not a lot of Greeks in the shelters here.
lots of conflicting info out there, but I recommend reading this. It’s a LOT to take in, but is worth it.

im next door in Burbank and have an outdoor enclosure (see pics), you can do something similar, tho it’s getting pretty cool now for full time outdoor occupation and you prob should not bromate him this year since you just got him and dont know his health.

Attachments

• FAAF55BA-110C-4801-97AC-16466FF4A726.jpeg
    FAAF55BA-110C-4801-97AC-16466FF4A726.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 9740A891-A49F-4E87-B791-3B096F8704E3.jpeg
    9740A891-A49F-4E87-B791-3B096F8704E3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

Poseidon's Mama

Glendale, CA
Welcome to the forum!
That is definitely a greek, and definitely nowhere near one year old!
Here's a great thread to read through: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Another great read for new members: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
I feel its important to know how old he is or getting a close estimate.. I read somewhere it can be done by lab works. They can give a good enough guesstimate. Is this true?
Thanks for the links. I read the first one already as soon as I got here. Though I was, of course, focused on Russians. I already switched my attention to Greeks. Good thing there aren't many differences between these two types.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I feel its important to know how old he is or getting a close estimate.. I read somewhere it can be done by lab works. They can give a good enough guesstimate. Is this true?
I've personally never heard this, but I'm not sure. He's definitely an adult and probably at least 10, and his shell seems quite worn, so 35 might not be a bad estimate. However, their housing and environment greatly affects their appearance, so it's difficult to make any estimates without knowing about his past care, or even just in general.

Last edited:

Poseidon's Mama

Glendale, CA
Glad you got him. Not a lot of Greeks in the shelters here.
lots of conflicting info out there, but I recommend reading this. It’s a LOT to take in, but is worth it.

im next door in Burbank and have an outdoor enclosure (see pics), you can do something similar, tho it’s getting pretty cool now for full time outdoor occupation and you prob should not bromate him this year since you just got him and dont know his health.
Hello neighbor! Glad to know someone in the same climate as we do :) As soon as I got him, I returned the little box you see online and we made an indoor wooden enclosure for him. Too bad its not the ideal size 30x37. I told my husband tonight that we will make another one for him in the next month or so.
For now, I give him daily soak, He had good appetite the first few days but he doesn't seem to like eating in the last three days. I will keep giving him food an hour after he soak. I also let him walk around supervised, to get some sun and exercise. His enclosure has the UVB light (not the tube bec I went to a pet store before reading the correct one to use. His tube light and fixture will arrive tomorrow) and heat lamp.
I really want to do right by him.

Poseidon's Mama

Glendale, CA
I've personally never heard this, but I'm not sure. He's definitely an adult and probably at least 10, and his shell seems quite worn, so 35 might not be a bad estimate. However, their housing and environment greatly effects their appearance, so it's difficult to make any estimates without knowing about his past care, or even just in general.
With the wrong information about him given by the shelter, I doubt they would know anything more. Russian to greek and one yr old to possibly 30+ is quite a shock. I want to make him happy and healthy. I guess my next step would be to take him to a herp vet. Thanks for your info. Every bit helps!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
With the wrong information about him given by the shelter, I doubt they would know anything more. Russian to greek and one yr old to possibly 30+ is quite a shock. I want to make him happy and healthy. I guess my next step would be to take him to a herp vet. Thanks for your info. Every bit helps!
The good news is that these guys live a very, VERY long time, so it's unlikely that you'll be missing out on any time with him. As it stands, he might still have the possibility of outliving you even with his current age. As far as I know, they don't seem to have too many age related complications until they're quite a bit up there, either.
Your tortoise is just a bit more wise than you were planning for :p

Poseidon's Mama

Glendale, CA
The good news is that these guys live a very, VERY long time, so it's unlikely that you'll be missing out on any time with him. As it stands, he might still have the possibility of outliving you even with his current age. As far as I know, they don't seem to have too many age related complications until they're quite a bit up there, either.
Your tortoise is just a bit more wise than you were planning for :p
I'm already planning on who I would leave him with in case he outlives me :p For now, I need to get this old(er) soul to eat. He's been pushing his food around like a spoiled brat. Yet, he poops during his soak time. LOL!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I'm already planning on who I would leave him with in case he outlives me :p For now, I need to get this old(er) soul to eat. He's been pushing his food around like a spoiled brat. Yet, he poops during his soak time. LOL!
Lol, I know my Russian didn't eat until about a week or more after I got him, and it took him months to start eating the amount you would expect a tortoise to. These guys are real stubborn and resistant to change, so don't get too worried if he continues to refuse food. These guys are really tough, and it would take a very long time without food for anything too bad to recover from to happen.

Poseidon's Mama

Glendale, CA
Lol, I know my Russian didn't eat until about a week or more after I got him, and it took him months to start eating the amount you would expect a tortoise to. These guys are real stubborn and resistant to change, so don't get too worried if he continues to refuse food. These guys are really tough, and it would take a very long time without food for anything too bad to recover from to happen.
Glad to hear that. I've been worried sick thinking I did something wrong. Whew! Thank you