Greek Diet

ShellingtonTheFirst

Location (City and/or State)
London
I feed Shelly daily, a diet of 100% weeds and plants such as dandelions, plantain, mallow, dead nettle and so on and so forth. There is always fresh forage available to him and he seems to really enjoy his weeds. Aside from a weekly treat of courgette and cucumber, and a sprinkle of calcium/multivit powder twice a week, that is all I feed him. I was wondering, is this the best diet nutritionally for him? 100% weeds? Or should I be feeding him something else, too?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed Shelly daily, a diet of 100% weeds and plants such as dandelions, plantain, mallow, dead nettle and so on and so forth. There is always fresh forage available to him and he seems to really enjoy his weeds. Aside from a weekly treat of courgette and cucumber, and a sprinkle of calcium/multivit powder twice a week, that is all I feed him. I was wondering, is this the best diet nutritionally for him? 100% weeds? Or should I be feeding him something else, too?
What you are doing is IDEAL!

More variety is always good, but weeds are the best. You could add in some seasonal flowers of the right types. Mulberry leaves and grape vine leaves, are great foods when they are in season. Spineless opuntia is a great tortoise food if you can get it there. It wouldn't be bad to have some prepared tortoise chow of the right types too. Mazuri is great and I think you have Komodo over there. These are good to ensure there are no missing nutrients from the diet, but the pelleted foods are not "necessary" by any means.

Few tortoises get a diet as perfect as what you are offering. I wish more of them did.

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
I add in soaked Nutrazu (UK version of Mazuri) a few times a week which I purchase from here https://www.tortoisehut.co.uk/product-page/nutrazu-tortoise-diet
I only came across Nutrazu via info on this thread https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/mazuri-or-nutrazu.176428/, but I'm really glad I did as my torts seem to be taking to it. That site also sells opuntia pads.

I also have some Pre Alpin pellets made of dried weeds and flowers that are soaked before feeding. I purchased from this company, https://tortoise-den.co.uk/food-and-supplements?filter_catid=9&start=0 but they don't seem to stock it at the moment. My two torts haven't taken to that so well, but going to persevere!

I recently bought dried mulberry leaves, hibiscus powder, opuntia (prickly pear) powder and some other bags of tortoise friendly dried mixed flowers/leaves that I sprinkle/mix in with foods.

Always worth price checking on other sites, as you might get a better deal. Hope this gives you some ideas, but as Tom said, you're on the money with diet already.

Reactions: Tom