Greek baby not eating and sleeping too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I was going to ask you how Paul was! I think its vitamin A that can cause eye problems. Do NOT let the vet give a vitamin A shots, I have seen many people on here lose their torts from it. You can raise his vit A by feeding food with high vit A content. I saw in one of your other threads, you were giving a lot of calcium. If I were you, this is what I would do... I would adjust your temperatures so its more in line with what GB said. Basking-95, warm-about 80, cool-70, nighttime-let it drop, no night time heat. Don't give calcium for a few days. I would soak in babyfood (whatever has the highest vit A content, I think its carrots although im not positive).

Keep the vet appt Monday. Hopefully with adjusted temps, lower calcium and increased vit A, Paul starts to feel a little better :)

I really don't have any experience with greeks, so I would also pm a link to this thread to people who do have more experience :)

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Laurie said:
I was going to ask you how Paul was! I think its vitamin A that can cause eye problems. Do NOT let the vet give a vitamin A shots, I have seen many people on here lose their torts from it. You can raise his vit A by feeding food with high vit A content. I saw in one of your other threads, you were giving a lot of calcium. If I were you, this is what I would do... I would adjust your temperatures so its more in line with what GB said. Basking-95, warm-about 80, cool-70, nighttime-let it drop, no night time heat. Don't give calcium for a few days. I would soak in babyfood (whatever has the highest vit A content, I think its carrots although im not positive).

Keep the vet appt Monday. Hopefully with adjusted temps, lower calcium and increased vit A, Paul starts to feel a little better :)

I really don't have any experience with greeks, so I would also pm a link to this thread to people who do have more experience :)

This is all what I've done... I know it takes time to get their systems back in order, just hope I caught it early enough. He hasn't had calcium since Tuesday. I've done 3 carrot soaks, hopefully he's soaking up some vitamins. Wish it was nicer out today so he could get some sun...all clouds and rain though. I've messeged 3 people so far...time to go scour the greek page for more! :)

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
He took a couple bites of the sphagnum moss...still hasn't touched the actual greens though. Thought that was kind of bizarre.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Guess who took a few bites of turnip greens! Hopefully cooling him down and a few extra soaks are paying off..

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I know there's no real way to tell but how long do you all think it would take for him to get back on the right track? He took a few bites of food yesterday but that was it. his temps now are 90 basking, 85 surrounding, and 70-75 the rest of the enclosure. Still going to the vet Monday, he needs a parasite test anyway. Oh he also took a bite of baby food squash yesterday...didn't seem to pleased with the taste though. Lol.

BaywoodKids

5 Year Member
Just thinking of you and Paul, and hoping he is still improving! How is he today?

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
He seems a little more alert today, still not eating though. He did take a drink of his carrot soak today. I might switch to something else other than carrots. suggestions? My little bug is still hanging in there. Like always if he would eat a big ole piece of dandelion i would feel better. We are off to the vet in 18 hours. It's been in the low 60s here in the morning, how should i transport him to the vet? It's only a 10 min drive, max.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Looks who's a little better today. He took 2 bites of turnip greens and 1 bite of tortoise food. He was walking all around the couch. When he fell asleep on the couch I put him in his enclosure and he dug himself a little hole and went back to bed. I'm still worried about those little eyes though. Hopefully the amped up vitamin a and water start kicking that in the butt also.

Attachments

• image-3610992137.png
    image-3610992137.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image-3594481843.png
    image-3594481843.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 27

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I can't thank you guys enough for the support! All this has even got my boyfriend reading all the posts and my mom who lives 2 hours away looking up care sheets and worrying about him. I'll update as soon as we get back in the morning! Fingers crossed for a parasite free, and on-the-mend little one.

P.s. a standard light bulb worked wonders for the heating issue. And much cheaper! :) thank you GBtortoises! It's keeping the warmest area at a perfect barely 90*.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
You guys aren't going to believe this... My little baby got a tiny scratch on his skin above his tail, but under his shell! It was getting infected and making him not feel good. :( he got a shot of antibiotics and is getting some more baby food and yellow squash to eat. I couldn't of gotten luckier, the vet has a 14 year old sully that he's had since he was about Paul's size! I showed him a pic of his eyes from last week and said those are looking much better. But he thinks everything is from this infection. Not sure how it could of happened but glad the vet found it.

So, he gets another shot of antibiotics on thursday (I'm nervous, I have to give it to him). No soaks, only mistings, so the sore can dry out. And lots of TLC, which there is no lack of in this household. And also some reptile carpet to keep the dirt out of there...he's not going to like that if he can't burrow..

I'm off to the store to buy a bunch of stuff! :) oh, and as soon as we got home I put him in his enclosure and he started eating some turnip. :D

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Small update on Paul, he got his second antibiotic shot this morning. I have never given a shot to something so tiny, i was terrified! He is eating a tiny bit but still not much. He is so much more alert now though. I am spraying him 5+ times a day since he can't have soaks. We go back to the vet for a checkup and to pick up more antibiotics tomorrow. I want him to be a little pig again!

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Vet appointment today- Paul got a little b12 shot to stimulate his appetite, along with more antibiotics. He seems to be on the mend. The vet was saying it looks like the tear in his skin may have happened when he was in his hatchling box, if he got turned over on his back and then stepped on by one of his siblings it would of forcibly pulled his shell away from his skin... Poor baby, that has to hurt!

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Well, a little tort named Paul has a clean bill of health from the vet finally! He is back to eating, and more active than I've ever seen him! He has 2 more antibiotic shots tonight and tomorrow, then the meds are done. I wanted to thank everyone for all the responses and well wishes. There was a time when i really thought he wasnt going to make it andi really think everyones input on here really helped him pull through. The whole infection was something you can't really prevent. Even when babies come from a very reputable breeder like mine did, accidents happen, like getting turned on his shell, and problems don't show up for weeks. i learned that if your gut says "it's weird that he sleeps so much" and "i wonder why his eyes are like that" you should probably just get them to the vet. And in this whole process i found an awesome vet that has a big ol sulcatta! Tortoise lovers are everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.