Grazing outdoor, amount, length?

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
Since my 'Pasture Mix' is super long , I placed Charlie out in the tub for about an hour... he was just munchn away and inspecting all over... I did place him a water dish and there was a completely shaded area if too hot. My question is... since its warming up here and he can go outside more, is it okay to have the outdoor enclosure just full of the 'pasture mix' or should I make an area cleared out? how long to be outside? pic attached

Attachments

• cout.JPG
    cout.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 29

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My general rule for sunning babies is an hour of outside time per inch of tortoise.

Your tortoise will clear its own path in there one way or another. If the plants grow up enough, your tortoise will be able to trample them down and then walk on them. This might allow the tortoise to get out of the tub. Looks like he'd still be contained in your set up, but he might get stuck in the sun or something, so it still warrants caution.

Fresno, CA
great guideline!!!! an hour per inch... yeah.. Charlie is still on the small side.. even for 1 year old (only around 3" or so)... he will still be treated as a baby :)..... I am too overprotective to leave him outside unattended ... but thank you for the reminder and words of caution ... sometimes we don't even think about something as a danger. and I was just worried he would have too many greens!! hahaha

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
great guideline!!!! an hour per inch... yeah.. Charlie is still on the small side.. even for 1 year old (only around 3" or so)... he will still be treated as a baby :)..... I am too overprotective to leave him outside unattended ... but thank you for the reminder and words of caution ... sometimes we don't even think about something as a danger. and I was just worried he would have too many greens!! hahaha
He can't have too many greens as long as he is getting exercise. My Charlie has access to grazing all the time. He likes to eat a little in one place, then walk across the yard to another place to see if the grass tastes better over there. He does this all day long, in between rests.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He can't have too many greens as long as he is getting exercise. My Charlie has access to grazing all the time. He likes to eat a little in one place, then walk across the yard to another place to see if the grass tastes better over there. He does this all day long, in between rests.

What is Chalrie...? About 30 inches? He can only have 30 hours of sunshine per day using my formula. Be careful! :p