Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
She bit him?? 😯
Yes!!! The turtle bit the dog! And was hanging on for dear life. I was only about 15' behind the dog when we got to the pond, and the dog was SCREAMING and running backwards and spinning in a circle with this big turtle clamped down on her nose and swinging around, hanging on!

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Yes!!! The turtle bit the dog! And was hanging on for dear life. I was only about 15' behind the dog when we got to the pond, and the dog was SCREAMING and running backwards and spinning in a circle with this big turtle clamped down on her nose and swinging around, hanging on!
I'm trying not to laugh because it could have been much worse, but imagining the turtle hanging on to a big dog like that! 🤣 I can picture this animated!

Kkwoodson

Colorado
Dogs do know right from wrong when taught. He should not have been punished. You were the one that was wrong, the dog did what does do!
That said, do not for a minute think that because you punished him, that he now knows better and won't do it again. Also, do not let your tortoise roam the floors of your home, that is another big bad on your part
I believe you learned a big lesson, unfortunately the hard way.
I'm hoping my post hits home with others reading this and learn before it's too late.
Good luck in the recovery process.
Your post is berating and does not hit home. Agreed dogs can be taught right from wrong and providing structured feedback help does that - so I find your post contradicting.

You can have your opinion on how. to handle YOUR dog, and I can have mine. Obviously I know I am wrong and have mentioned that several times. You don't need to be a Karen about the situation.

I reject your well wishes as when they are coupled with negative opinions, they don't feel genuine and are quite unncessary. Good luck to you and your stifling perspective on other's perspectives. I hope people still have the courage to post about mistakes and not feel belittled for it like you have made me feel @wellington.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Please! and if you have any useful advise on recovery, please let me know. The antibiotics will be administered tomorrow, at this point just flushing with saline and allowing to air out for 1-2 hours. Dino is in great spirits, still active and eating.
Thanks! I've treated 2 torts, a RES, and an Eastern box turtle for dog bites. In each case, I irrigated the wounds with a 50/50 iodine solution every other day, and applied silver sulfadine to the affected area(s) twice daily. This went on for 4-weeks. In each case, I left them unbandaged and used paper towels for substrate. I was able to save all but the box turtle. Wounds on her were far too extensive, so I had her euthanized.

Kkwoodson

Colorado
Thanks! I've treated 2 torts, a RES, and an Eastern box turtle for dog bites. In each case, I irrigated the wounds with a 50/50 iodine solution every other day, and applied silver sulfadine to the affected area(s) twice daily. This went on for 4-weeks. In each case, I left them unbandaged and used paper towels for substrate. I was able to save all but the box turtle. Wounds on her were far too extensive, so I had her euthanized.
Thank you, that is very helpful, I need to get iodine. I never thought of Silver Sulfadine! I am sorry for your loss and happy to hear that you were able to save the other.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Thank you, that is very helpful, I need to get iodine. I never thought of Silver Sulfadine! I am sorry for your loss and happy to hear that you were able to save the other.
None of them were even mine. My mother rescued the RES and brought her to me. The two torts were brought to me by a friend of a friend, and the box turtle was found by my neighbor. We suspect it was picked up by a coyote. Was in very bad shape and barely hanging on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your post is berating and does not hit home. Agreed dogs can be taught right from wrong and providing structured feedback help does that - so I find your post contradicting.

You can have your opinion on how. to handle YOUR dog, and I can have mine. Obviously I know I am wrong and have mentioned that several times. You don't need to be a Karen about the situation.

I reject your well wishes as when they are coupled with negative opinions, they don't feel genuine and are quite unncessary. Good luck to you and your stifling perspective on other's perspectives. I hope people still have the courage to post about mistakes and not feel belittled for it like you have made me feel @wellington.
Oh well, your opinion!

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA

Your post is greatly appreciated. Anyone who took the time to read it should have taken to heart the emotional stress you've already been through. Noone should be making you feel belittled.

I'm sorry that this happened as it's also your first impression of this forum.
I thank you for posting and I'm glad you are here. I too have learned from all of this. We are all still learning.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
You are a smart guy Len, but as a profession dog trainer with more than 30 years experience, this is non-sense. There is no training that will overcome a dogs instincts if the person isn't sitting right there telling them to leave it alone. I'm glad that you have gotten away with it for years, but other people read this post and try "introducing their tortoise as a member of the pack", there are going to be chewed up tortoises. I too let my dogs run loose in the tortoise pens when they are with me and my eyes are continually looking right at them, and all that is ever needed is a simple "leave it" because these are trained dogs and I am a trainer, but the average back yard dog owner is going to end up with a mauled tortoise if they believe and follow your example. We see it here constantly. Good God man... It is the very subject of THIS thread.

For those reading this and wondering what to do with your dog:
1. Dogs can NEVER be trusted alone with tortoises. Never. Not even for a minute while you go inside to get something or answer the phone. Scroll back up to post number one of this thread to understand why. The OP is an intelligent and thoughtful tortoise care taker, and never thought this would happen. The point of this thread is to try and help other people from having to learn this lesson the hard way.
2. The tortoise area should be fenced and off limits to the dog(s).
3. Do not "introduce" your dog to your tortoise. They are not going to be friends, and this will eventually get your tortoise chewed up. In every and all cases, the dog should only be taught to "leave it" when it comes to the tortoise. Treat your tortoise like a big bowl of dark chocolate or a rattle snake sitting on the ground in your back yard. Never let the dog get near it. Always teach your dog to steer way clear and leave it alone.
I appreciate your opinion, but I think that you are wrong in many aspects. Yes I'm not a professional dog training. I guess that makes me an average backyard dog owner, with years of experience with dogs. I got my first dog in 1957 his name was Duke and he died in 1974 and he never chewed a turtle in his life. During that time I had 2 other dogs Corky and Wolf and they didn't chew turtles either. You didn't read the last sentence in my post stating if you don't have the time to work with your dogs keep them, the tortoise and dogs separated. You being a professional dog trainer should know that what I stated is possible without concern. And several times you have stated I get away with it and I am lucky with how I keep sulcatas in a cold climate. And now I've been lucky with how I let dogs co-mingle with my tortoise's. I guess it's never entered your mind that I know what I'm doing and been doing it for a long time with great results without anyone getting harmed physically or mentally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I guess it's never entered your mind that I know what I'm doing and been doing it for a long time with great results without anyone getting harmed physically or mentally.
No. Just the opposite. That is why I stared with "You are a smart guy Len..." I do think you know what you are doing, but what I don't think you realize is that you are a very rare bird, and the vast majority of people out in the world will not have your level of success, and will not be able to implement your methods for several reasons.

Telling people to try and make the tortoises a member of the dog pack is going to get tortoises chewed up. Telling people to keep their dogs away from their tortoises and never let them have any contact is going to prevent tragedies like the subject of this thread.