Grass seeds

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
I planted grass seeds and they’re starting to grow pretty good. These seeds had the blue coating. How long should o wait before putting my tortoises out?

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Meant to add that I planted the seeds in like November or so if 2018.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where did you buy the seeds? If it was at the hardware store, I would't let a tortoise have access to that or feed it to them. They are doing all sorts of weird stuff to grass seed nowadays. It is intended for lawns and to look pretty. They don't intend for people to feed it to their pets.

I only use seed intended for consumption, like pasture seeds for horses and cattle.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I educated myself on this the past few weeks. Almost any of the seeds in stores right now are not safe for your tortoises. If you read the bag closely, it will say that the seed is coated or treated and not for food use. Feed stores are just now getting in seed for grazing.. (pasture, chicken & goat yards, etc....)or you can order online. There are actually some tortoise blend seeds available that are specific to your tortoise. It’s a little pricey though if your planting a larger area.

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Where did you buy the seeds? If it was at the hardware store, I would't let a tortoise have access to that or feed it to them. They are doing all sorts of weird stuff to grass seed nowadays. It is intended for lawns and to look pretty. They don't intend for people to feed it to their pets.

I only use seed intended for consumption, like pasture seeds for horses and cattle.

Not sure. I guess I will dig it up. It’s starting to grow nicely, in patches but nicely. For years, I’ve tried growing the seeds from different online sellers like Carolina Pet Supply, but it NEVER grows. I got tired of wasting the money on those seeds. I have large trees in our yard that suck all the nutrients and it gets hot in Georgia that the tortoise pen always dries out before the grass/weeds have a chance to root.

I even tried growing the pet seeds in a concrete tub but it grew sporadically. And then dried out despite watering and finding a semi shade semi sunny area.

I’m about out of ideas for growing seeds in the tortoise pen.

The pen gets morning shade/sun, day sun and mid-afternoon shade.

Would and OverSeed pasture seed mix work? Cattle, Sheep, and Goats. It produces a green lush pasture. Contains; Tetraploid Annual Ryegrass, Diploid Ryegrass, Orchard grass, White and Red Clover.

Last edited:

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Accidentally replied to myself. Can’t delete on mobile.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
If its intended for pasture animals to eat, then it should be fine.

I've done side-by-side growing tests and nothing from any source comes close to outperforming this one:
https://www.groworganic.com/premium-horse-pasture-mix-irrigation.html

Thanks!! I started digging it up this morning. But I got distracted with my toddler running around and then the wild onions in the rest of my yard. And I’m pregnant so I work in batches. I Will go back out this afternoon hopefully.

I did look up and I bought Scott’s Turf Builder Grass Seeds.

Reactions: Tom

Loribwp

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks!! I started digging it up this morning. But I got distracted with my toddler running around and then the wild onions in the rest of my yard. And I’m pregnant so I work in batches. I Will go back out this afternoon hopefully.

I did look up and I bought Scott’s Turf Builder Grass Seeds.
I am in Ohio, planning to order this. Do you think they'd be ok for Sulcata?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220318-185259.png
    Screenshot_20220318-185259.png
    844.3 KB · Views: 2