Grass in an enclosure

mlummus

I'm looking at either planting grass seed or getting sod to put in my torts enclosure but I can't find anything on the correct type of grass to use and what not to use. Does any one know or have suggestions?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I'd prefer to grow my own from seed. Sod has netting that can entangle a digging tort and is possibly sprayed with lots of chemicals.

You can use fescue grass seeds, bermuda, st. Augustine....the list goes on..horse pasture grazing mixes or better yet you could buy the broadleaf weed seed mix that was put together with the testudo species in mind. Tortoise supply sells it and your Russian will love that mix!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What kind of tortoise and where are you?
I use Bermuda here inside my pens because it's easy to grow and looks neat.
My Redfoot don't eat it too much. I keep it trimmed like a golf course.
The yard is St. Augustine. They eat it every chance they get.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bear in mind that Russian tortoises prefer broad leaf plants and weeds. They will eat a bit of grass, but not enough to keep you from having to mow it. If you plant grass you're going to be in there with the scissors or whatever method works for you, keeping the grass down. Think more along the lines of dichondra, clover, and broad-leaf weeds like dandelion, plantain and plants like hosta, rose of sharon, etc.

mlummus

Okay I have seen the seed mix on tortoise supply but the shipping for it is outrageous! But it does seem like that would be the best thing to use. I'm doing half of the enclosure with what I call a "jungle" so it'll be grassy and with plants and stuff. Would it be fine to plant that seed mix straight into coco coir or is there a better way to do it?

mlummus

So would it be better to grow it in a pot in his enclosure or straight into the substrate?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As you may or may not have already read....The plants that you grow in the seed mix can last a VERY long time.
If you let your tortoise eat the green tops and let the plants recover, they will grow again and again.

mlummus

Do tortoises normally eat the sprouts of the weeds or do they wait until they're fairly grown?