grass growing(Indoors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
So my tortoise table is 3'6" by 4' 6" feet and is fully covered with a UVB tube over the top. Currently my tort(s)(Missing one currently. =[) are grazing outside which they will stay until the temps here drop too low which might be around next month or two. Now when I put them back into their indoor home for the winter can the UVB light cause the grass to grow or am I just going off of wishful thinking? Even if that cannot grow I remember last year at the reptile expo here there was a company selling grass seed that grew inside their terrariums but I am not sure of the nutritional value of it.
Any comments on the thought of making their indoor pen as close to the outdoors as possible?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Last winter I grew grass and clover in my indoor enclosure, right in the coconut coir substrate. Your wishful thinking can happen:)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
A question from me. If you grow grass inside your enclosure, does it mean that you need to temporary move your torts? I think they will eat the young grown grass as soon as it grows and won't it kill it?

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
wellington said:
Last winter I grew grass and clover in my indoor enclosure, right in the coconut coir substrate. Your wishful thinking can happen:)

Perfect! I was wondering about that! Does the grass lose nutritional value if grown in the coconut coir?

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
Yellow Turtle said:
A question from me. If you grow grass inside your enclosure, does it mean that you need to temporary move your torts? I think they will eat the young grown grass as soon as it grows and won't it kill it?

My girl mows the new growth before it has a chance, I swear she plays whack-a-mole and grabs it as soon as it sprouts up! Tomorrow I'm growing it in pots as well as her enclosure, haha.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think it loses any nutritional value. If they eat it before it has a chance to come in really good, just grow some in a tray also. Then you can put that in.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Masin said:
Yellow Turtle said:

My girl mows the new growth before it has a chance, I swear she plays whack-a-mole and grabs it as soon as it sprouts up! Tomorrow I'm growing it in pots as well as her enclosure, haha.

That's a waste of seed :)

Ok then I should just grow in in containers then :D

Status
Not open for further replies.