Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is there any reason to not feed wild growing grass after it starts to go to seed? I saw a reference to this somewhere here on the forum and was wondering about it. Most of my wild grass is starting to produce those nasty foxtails. Its all still green, but its hard to grab a handful without getting some foxtail with it. They've always eaten this type of grass at all of its life stages,[/b] including dead and dried out. Are the seeds toxic or is there some physical hazard about them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In case anyone is wondering what "foxtail" is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtail_(diaspore)

Tom:

I would just be worried that they might inhale a seed or one might get into an eye.

A while ago a gal named Spring Pace joined the forum and showed a picture of her large sulcata plowing through a field of mature foxtail. She didn't say anything bad had ever happened, and this was the norm for her and her tortoise. If you want to do a search, she has the picture up someplace here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So are they toxic? Do you know the common name of the grass that produces these? The most common one in my area looks just like the pic you posted, but we get several other types.

emysemys said:
In case anyone is wondering what "foxtail" is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxtail_(diaspore)

Tom:

I would just be worried that they might inhale a seed or one might get into an eye.

A while ago a gal named Spring Pace joined the forum and showed a picture of her large sulcata plowing through a field of mature foxtail. She didn't say anything bad had ever happened, and this was the norm for her and her tortoise. If you want to do a search, she has the picture up someplace here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hordeum murinum

No, its not toxic, but once the grass is long enough to go to seed its not as palatable. Even my cow won't eat it once its gone to seed.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would just remove the foxtails myself.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
emysemys said:
Hordeum murinum

No, its not toxic, but once the grass is long enough to go to seed its not as palatable. Even my cow won't eat it once its gone to seed.

That's interesting. All of my animals still eat it. Camel, donkey, roo, torts, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.