1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Grass from feed store ?

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Subersibo, Aug 26, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Subersibo

Subersibo Active Member 5 Year Member

Anyone feed their tortoise grass from a feed store? I tried hay before but Yoshi won’t eat it. Not even if wet it and cut it up. He doesn’t like orchard grass also.
    I’m not certain what sort of grass they carry but it’s in a bale.
  2. Action

Action Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I'm trying to feed lawn clippings. My little 1 doesn't really like them but loves cactus. so I kind of wet the cactus pad add lawn clippings add a touch more water to help lawn stick to cactus. So now when he eats cactus he also eats lawn.
    Jack
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Southern California
    What species? Leopard? Many regular leopards aren't that in to grass or grass hay. Its not that big a part of their diet in the wild. More leaves, weeds, flowers, and lots of succulents. In the wild they also eat a lot of mammal feces. Presumably this would be mostly from ungulates, but possibly others too. I think this is why they are so drawn to Mazuri.

It usually takes a while to introduce them to any new food. Grass or grass hay, can sometimes take the longest. Try cutting up and soaking tiny amounts of the new food and mixing it in with the old food. It might take a couple of months.
  4. Subersibo

Subersibo Active Member 5 Year Member

Yes, leopard. 6 yrs old now. He eats a lot of grass but I was thinking if I could get some from a feed store it would be more convenient as I haven’t grown any grass in my yard since we moved to a new location.