Graphic pictures of Leo twins that passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I wanted to share this with you, as we are always wanting to learn development and why things happen. I had this clutch of Leopard eggs that all hatched about 6 months ago, except for two eggs. The two eggs both looked viable and chalked up so I left them. I have periodically checked on them and they never molded or appeared bad. Well a few days ago, I looked in the incubator and saw a hairline fracture along the top of the of the egg and noticed it hard cracked (but not through piping). The end result were twins that had passed away. It appears that the development of them started much later than the rest of the clutch. The larger one looks almost the size of a regular leopard born but you can see the other one is 1/3 of that size. It looks like development was far along, as you can see physically. It looks like development ended not long ago, as there's no mold/foul smell etc.

Anyone else experienced twinning? I know awhile back Kbaker had one.

2ivjtx5.jpg

2cyn0j7.jpg

nby7ty.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
No experience with that, but very interesting.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
We have never had twins, thank you form posting. It is educational for sure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Christy:

Does that larger one have a split vertebal scute too? Interesting pictures. Thanks for sharing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
No personal experience, but I know there have been a few threads here about it, I often wonder if the twin effect ends so badly because there is not enough nutrients in the egg, to sustain 2 ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think its nutrients so much as space. They usually grow too big to stay in the egg, and they're not developed enough yet to be out of the egg.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Sorry for the little guys, but very interesting pictures. I tend to agree that there probably isn't enough space to fully develop two.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That's another interesting factor Yvonne with development. I have never even produced one single tortoise hatchling with a split scute and your are right. The larger one has one split vertebral scute, as well as an extra one (to which I haven't produced with leos either). So temps were accurate for normal scutes. Also, the right side has only three costal scutes. The smaller one had all normal scutes. So the question of development is how did that happen? We normally think it's due to temps.

Laura~That's a fabulous idea giving to a science school. I wonder if anyone in the U.S. are doing studies on embryo tortoise development.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for posting that. One of my skinks just gave birth to still born twins 2 weeks ago too. Five days later she had4 perfectly healthy babies. I wonder if the survival rate of twins is much lower than singles across species of reptiles.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Too bad they didn't make it. I find it interesting that they don't have identical natal scutes. I would say that they're fraternal twins. Twinning isn't that unusual in the mediterranean species, with both surviving. I haveb't heard about leopards though.

Status
Not open for further replies.