Grape leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Just about any nursery will have the vine. Evergreen, Walter Anderson's & Home Depot. I'm not sure if they sell them this time of the year.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you just wanting to buy the leaves or get the vines and grow your own?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I travel all over San Diego County. Right now I don't see any leaves on the vines at all. At least none that I would offer to my tortoise. Plants will be in most of the garden stores in a month or two. I wouldn't pick leaves for my tortoise from just anywhere. At least not for his regular diet. I have a couple of plants, started last year from cuttings from a neighbors vines. They root very easily. This way I know what is not in the plant, meaning fertilizers and pesticides.

My sulcata loves grape leaves. He also loves mulberry leaves. I see mulberry and fruitless mulberry in more neighborhoods than I see grapes. They too are dormant this time of year.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, so grapevines, Vitus vinifera, the European or noble grape are a type of plant that will drop their leaves in the winter (deciduous). The leaves drop because of variation in day length, not so much temp, wind etc. So less the few vineyards literally in the tropics they all drop their leaves in the winter. This species, and the thousands of cultivars derived from it are grown everywhere but Antarctica.

Grapes are a liana, growing as much as 30 feet in a season. You can keep a vine in a container, bigger is better, and harvest your own leaves. A thirty gallon pot with sandy loam, and you could probably actually get a small harvest of grapes too. But if you mostly want leaves, remove the grape clusters so the plant does not dedicate energy to fruit production, you will get more leaves.

With the exception of organic vineyards (in San Diego for table grapes) you should avoid pinching leaves from the road side of a vineyard as grapes are heavily managed with chemicals, one of the most intese use of chemicals for any permanent crop plant. Always see if you can engage and get permission from the farmer/rancher before that pinch, maybe the will help you further than just a few leaves. Remember people who cultivate plants and animals are of a common mind, more than less.

Will

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If you just want to buy some grape leaves, look for a greek or middle eastern grocery.

Status
Not open for further replies.