Got my first tortoise

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Donatello. There's lots to learn but this is the best place for up to date information from very experienced keepers who thankfully share their wealth of knowledge and tried and tested methods with us. So read, search and ask as many questions as you like to make sure your tort has a safe and happy home.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Definitely a cutie. I'm not an expert but he seems older then 4 months old though. he seems to have an awful lot of growth rings for a 4 month old. Eh, I probably don't know what I'm talking about...lol
Hello and welcome!

biking-monkey

South Wales UK
Funny you should mention that. A colleague in work thought he was older. I really don't know, the pet shop claim he's 4months old. I started researching how to age a tortoise and WOW so much info and doesn't seem particularly easy to do. I'm just going to accept he's x age but happy and healthy :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, being captive bred it's a little hard to tell because you never know how much or often he's been fed, and that makes a difference on how fast or slowly he grows, but my guess would be he's a year or maybe two years old. At any rate, he's a real looker!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Yeah @Yvonne G likth my 3-pound 1 1/2 yr old Burmese Black Mountain tortoises... :) However, babies have a certain softness to their skin and smoothness to their shell, I think, and are pretty easy to spot. I too think he's closer to 1-2 years old... it's easier for pet stores to sell babies (babies are so cute everybody wants one) so the younger they pass them off as the faster they can sell them.
I hope you didn't buy all the supplies that they push as well. most of it isn't safe for a tortoise. coil type bulbs and ramped water bowls for example

oh I see the water dish in his photo! Good job!