Good veggies to plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furandscales

5 Year Member
We are going to plant. A gArden and I wondering what are some good plants; veggies that are easy to grow that my russian would enjoy and is good for her?

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
I don't plant my own veggies in the garden, but I always love to see pumpkin plant. They look so bushy and I'm sure torts, especially the small ones would love to snick under them while eating the leaf :D

I keep hibiscus, aloe, opuntia, spider plants, grass, plantain, mulberry and start to grow grape tree. They are quite easily grown in my area and torts love them. But I have a hard time growing dandelions from seeds, they just never grow even I'm pretty sure I have the right condition for them!!!! Crappy sellers selling some bad seeds :D

I also start to grow red apple aptenia and petunia, but so far looks like the plants not doing good.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This is a garden to harvest from, not let the tortoise loose in? I ask because if the tortoise will live in his garden, then first on my list is a bush squash. Bush ones make awesome hides along with the food value. The other vine crops like pumpkins, cucumbers, and melons work well but mainly go for the bloom, not the fruit on them. Turnips would be next on my list as they are such awesome plants for hardiness. Just ignore the turnip and leave it all year long for the leaves. Collards, mustard, kale, are just some great green choices to grow, even the lettuces work. I know some folks like the radish greens, but my tortoises are a bit picky about eating those. :D Carrot greens can be fed to them, too along with one carrot or so a month. Best to harvest the rest of the carrots for yourself. :cool:

I don't think of flowers as being part of my garden, but pansies were mention before, Nasturium and petunia are another two great flowers.

furandscales

5 Year Member
Thank you! No it's just a garden for us humans to harvest:p I just wanted some plants that he could have too

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I plant, cucumbers, melons, squash, romaine, turnip greens, collard greens, spinach, green peppers, cabbage, broccoli, mesclun, to name a few. Most of them don't make it to full maturity. They love to eat them when they are tender...

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Looks like you already have a great list there. You could add in some marigold - great for your garden (prevents all kinds of pests naturally), and the flowers are healthy and delicious for torts. :)

furandscales said:
Thank you! No it's just a garden for us humans to harvest:p I just wanted some plants that he could have too

Status
Not open for further replies.