Good Moss Suppliers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunartwist

5 Year Member
I attempted to switch both Viola and Toni to a 100% Sphagnum moss substrate. The thing is...its not cheap. So I went to home Depot, paid $10 for three huge logs of it, put it in the freezer for a few days to "sterilize" and then switched over their bedding. Its working nicely too. Its clean, doesn't get into the cracks and crevices that coir does, and when I add water, it holds it instead of running right through it like with cypress mulch.

However there's another problem. Bugs! I thought I had sterilized it enough but nope! Not only do I have Springtails, but today I picked out some uneaten food in Toni's enclosure and find hundreds of teeny, squat, white bugs and even a baby earthworm! (Not that Toni would mind the earthworm lol)

Enough is enough! I want to be bug free! ;o;

So I need to find a good, CHEAP supplier of Sphagnum moss in larger bulk quantities that is already sterilized and made for animal use. Does anyone know of a site I could get this from? Its just frustrating because if you try getting it in a pet store, they only sell these teeny bags worth (not meant for much more than a tiny frog cage) and charge you $15! Its ridiculous!

Any help would be appreciated. :(

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I get mine directly from Mosser Lee. A huge bag for about 30.00. Never had any kind of bug problems with it.

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
You can find great deals or sales at pet stores.
i have seen the medium boxes of zoomed spag. moss on sale and or clearance before,
normally they are 14.99 sometimes you can find them for 5.99 or 6.99..
just keep the eyes open for deals

Status
Not open for further replies.