Good hibernation thread for Russians???

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Paisan

5 Year Member
Hi all, I will keep looking but if a moderator can recommend a good previous thread on hibernation. We are debating for Frankie. Her previous owner never did. We did hibernate her last year but she came out seemingly fine and then immediately came down with RNS (and Chris was in China and I got to do Baytril injections as a total newbie). We are thinking of not hibernating but she is sure slowing down, even in the tort table... We are doing a poop analysis this week with vet and looking at weight (she is fat and happy after summer outside)....this is my least favorite thing about tort care so far. The winters in Oregon are too cold and she will need to hibernate or be in all winter.....

Okay Chris and I have been discussing and this was super helpful from one of Jacqui's friends that I found from earlier post
http://russiantortoise.net/hibernation_journey.htm

This is SUPER helpful. We are still deciding what we are doing but the RNS bout in March may help us to decide no. Would love comments and will re-post.

Mandolynn

5 Year Member
I am not sure about a thread, but personally I never hibernated any of my torts, including my Russian, and I live in ND! It's not as difficult as you think to winter them indoors. I have never found it necessary to put the tort through something that could potentially harm them. But, I am a super worry wart. My Russian was almost as active as he was outside. But, this is something you have to make the decision about. Good Luck! I love Russians!

Status
Not open for further replies.