Goldfish illness (looks like chickenpox)

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
As I'd posted here before I recently got 2 goldfish, that I named Sampson and Juno. Well Juno had a small tear in her tail fin that had some white around it, not like fuzz but not normal. I'd been lightly treating with both Pima-fix and Mela-fix as soon as I noticed that. Then I noticed she was hovering near the bottom not swimming much, and had red spots all over the face region, that looked like they were underneath her skin, as in they weren't like open sores.
Well the other night she passed away. So at this point theres no saving her, and Sampson isn't showing any symptoms and is active.
I'm just curious is anyone knows what this may be? Never came across that one before.

phebe121

When was the last water change when levels get high i heard of this im not sure what is called ph levels or something along that line

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Refresh me, what size aquarium are you keeping them in? One goldfish, should be no smaller then a 20 gallon. 2 gold fish, a 30 gallon and so on. They dirty the water worse then any fish. Water changes should be done every week unless you have good filtration. Then at least once a month more often if you have a lot of them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
+1! Any water parameters would be helpful. PH and ammonia levels. Goldfish do well in cooler clean water. It sounds like a fungal infection on one and a microbial on the other. Id add a few tablespoons of aquarium salt. Were they from a "feeder" goldfish tank? If the second one also dies, post it and I'll tell you an easy way to safely sterilize your tank so that you can add new ones safely.