Are Larger Breeds Friendlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
So
I didn't mention what else happened when I went to the pet store to get Juno.
My dad doesn't know much about tortoises and found the other ones in the store interesting. He liked the redfoots since they were very colorful. But we got Juno, since I did research on her, and she seemed healthy and friendly.
But I did happen to hold some of the other torts as well
I held:
The Leo(my Juno was the only Leo there, and they hardly get leos in)
2 Sullies(a baby and a sub adult)
2 red foots
A russian
A greek
And an ornate boxie(yes I know its not a tortoise, but still

The Sullies and red foots were friendly. They came out of their shells and we were pittering about. However, the russian greek and boxie seemed to stay in their shells.
And there was Juno, who came right out :)

I know that personalities differentiates from torty to torty, just like in people. But from what I noticed both first hand and on the forums, the larger breeds SEEM much more docile. I don't to sound like I'm bashing on smaller torties, but why is it that the larger breeds seem more docile?
Just curious really ;)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The sulcatas are very small now but they will become great big tortoises. Russians and greeks probably wont get any bigger then 8 inches. Redfoots I believe get 11+ inches (someone probably has a better idea). But for the most part tortoises, depending on how much you interect with them, can eventually become very friendly from MY experience. Box turtles I have no clue, Sorry.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Sullies can be bruts.. friendly yes,, but watch your ankles.. they can ram, so Docile, isnt really a word for them..
Russians can be Very personable..

turtletrucker

5 Year Member
Indiana, USA
PoisonOrchid said:
So
I didn't mention what else happened when I went to the pet store to get Juno.
My dad doesn't know much about tortoises and found the other ones in the store interesting. He liked the redfoots since they were very colorful. But we got Juno, since I did research on her, and she seemed healthy and friendly.
But I did happen to hold some of the other torts as well
I held:
The Leo(my Juno was the only Leo there, and they hardly get leos in)
2 Sullies(a baby and a sub adult)
2 red foots
A russian
A greek
And an ornate boxie(yes I know its not a tortoise, but still

The Sullies and red foots were friendly. They came out of their shells and we were pittering about. However, the russian greek and boxie seemed to stay in their shells.
And there was Juno, who came right out :)

I know that personalities differentiates from torty to torty, just like in people. But from what I noticed both first hand and on the forums, the larger breeds SEEM much more docile. I don't to sound like I'm bashing on smaller torties, but why is it that the larger breeds seem more docile?
Just curious really ;)

I am no expert but I can offer up my experience. In my time as a keeper I have raised a Sulcata (3rd largest tortoise species) and an Indian Star (one of the smallest geochelones) and I have noticed something simular to what you are talking about. My Sulcata would always walk right up when we would come out and he would let us scratch him behind the 'ears' and be really friendly but my Indian Star is extremely timid. She startles easily and does not willingly approach people. Of course this could be PURELY individual personality but it does seem to corroborate what you were talking about. I wouldn't use the term 'unfriendly' but timid for sure. Maybe the bigger ones just have less to fear? lol.

PoisonOrchid

5 Year Member
That is what I was thinking. Maybe because of their size, they're a bit more, ego-maniac like?
I totally used the wrong words in here :p
It's odd though, but I do have to agree that interaction has a lot to do with it. Like the tortoises at the zoo are SUPER friendly, but I guess its cause TONS of people seem them and interact with them almost daily :)

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
It seems with the bigger breeds, they have a lot less to worry about. You're not gonna accidentally step on a 100 pound Sully. :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It really depends on the individual tortoise, my sulcata is very friendly but he will ram you or flick dirt at you if you are doing something he doesnt like..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am gonna stand up for the russian now, once they get settled in and feel secure they are as personable as a larger tortoise. Sulcatas, maybe because they are larger feel less threatened at first, but to be honest it is a crap shoot with them, you could get a nice and personable one like king bob, or you could wind up with one less so, (unheard of) But to be honest if I had to choose between getting rammed by one, I will choose the russian, I like my ankles unbroken.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
October said:
It seems with the bigger breeds, they have a lot less to worry about. You're not gonna accidentally step on a 100 pound Sully. :D

HAHAHAHA. Not true! "Always underfoot" is a term commonly used to describe sulcatas. Just ask Maggie and Bob!

When I was in RVs yard in AZ, I nearly tripped over her several times.

There are generalities that describe each species, but each tortoise is an individual. I've seen very shy sulcatas and very outgoing leopards. Most of the time Russians are very outgoing and unafraid and the males are one of the smallest of the commonly available species. I don't have a lot of personal experience with them, but I understand that Hermann's tortoises are pretty friendly too.

John

5 Year Member
It is my experience that most animals, even the timid and shy will eventually warm up to the hand that feeds. A hatchling tortoise has more to fear then a full grown animal in most cases, yet all the hatchlig leopards I have eat from my fingers except one and funny thing is that one is over 200 grams and is not shy at all when I try to feed her from my hand she comes directly over and rams my fingers, its quite funny:D

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Tom wrote:
HAHAHAHA. Not true! "Always underfoot" is a term commonly used to describe sulcatas. Just ask Maggie and Bob!
When I was in RVs yard in AZ, I nearly tripped over her several times.

You're a nice guy - she was looking for handouts! (she can tell a soft touch......)

teri

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
My Lana was very friendly from the moment I rescued her. I would think by the way she was neglected that she would be shy of people but she loves everyone. When I open the door to her private room in the basement she comes running to me. She knows it's time to go outside for a walk and to her pen. My new box turtle has only closed himself up once, he is friendly too.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I think a large part of it is just the individual tort- just like us. My Tex- totally outgoing, loves being around me and will follow me like a dog when I'm in "his yard". Now Tex does not like my dad. We can have several people in Tex's yard and he will pick out my dad and bite at his shoes or ram up againt his legs. Captain Jack is starting to come into his own and open up. He's always been shy, but has finally taken food from my hand a couple of times. My Russian, Maggie McGee- totally shy, has never once eaten from my hand, but I love her.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Of my 4 Hermann's torts, 3 are very out-going, 1 (Apollonia) is a bit shy...otoh, I've only had her for a few days, so she may yet "come out of her shell" (sorry for the pun :p)

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't mean any disrespect but dogs come in breeds, tortoises come in species...

I think any tortoise no matter what the species needs to be socialized. I just got 3 hatchling Sulcata and each one other hides in his shell when they see me or runs, the brattiest of the 3 fights when I hold him and runs when I put him down, the other 2 hide. So I will start to socialize them by holding and just "socializing" them. Rubbing their carapace, talking to them and letting them walk on me. I rub them a lot. Some people say they don't think tortoises should be held but I disagree. When I am thru with a tortoise you can treat them, hold their heads, open their mouths so when I am done with one a Vet can treat them easily...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't subscribe to the generalized personality idea between tortoise species and or subspecies, and I think Maggie hit it dead on. I believe how a tortoise displays its personality is subjective a lot to how it is being raised, it's health, interaction with humans, etc...Being more "social" with your tortoise WILL make it more personable.

Have you ever seen tortoises at a zoo? really this applies to any animal at a zoo, they could care less about the people that walk by and stare at them because it happens all day every day for them. If you see some of these animals in the wild, they'll likely be running away (or running at you :p) long before you even notice they were close by.

samstar

5 Year Member
My Radiated's used to **** when I carried them for a short period but now after handling them regularly they dont. I guess a bit of tender loving care should do the trick..

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Great post. Sums it up!

Neal said:
I don't subscribe to the generalized personality idea between tortoise species and or subspecies, and I think Maggie hit it dead on. I believe how a tortoise displays its personality is subjective a lot to how it is being raised, it's health, interaction with humans, etc...Being more "social" with your tortoise WILL make it more personable.

Have you ever seen tortoises at a zoo? really this applies to any animal at a zoo, they could care less about the people that walk by and stare at them because it happens all day every day for them. If you see some of these animals in the wild, they'll likely be running away (or running at you :p) long before you even notice they were close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.